MIA HBT Members Since COVID-19 Outbreak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to inquire. I didn't realize I had people worried here and I must say I definitely appreciate it.

As it turns out it's very likely that I did indeed catch the dreaded bug sometimes in March. I don't have official confirmation though as no testing was performed due to the fact that my symptoms were only mild to moderate and since lab facilities are really working at 120% capacity 24/7 testing slots are allocated on a priority basis rather than a first-come-first-served basis. Luckily I was always a low priority and in this case I'm really glad I was as the alternative woud have obviously been quite dreadful, but based on the symptoms the probability that it was indeed COVID is quite high. I will freely admit to being scared shitless for a while there and I don't think that's something to be ashamed of... :oops:

Of the symptoms I experienced the most annoying was the complete loss of the sense of smell, making everything taste funny and rather unappetizing. I can personally confirm that even the best beer tastes quite awful if your sense of smell is gone, to the point that you're better off just drinking water... :( Luckily that's come back 100% and beer and all the other foodstuffs taste great again. :ban:

I also haven't been able to leave home for over a month but as we're still basically on complete lockdown I wouldn't know what to do once outside anyway, so... Luckily I can get everything I need delivered to my front door so that's not an issue, but unfortunately it looks like liquid yeast might become unavailable soon due to US yeast suppliers not delivering anymore so my next batches will have to be extra large ones as my yeast stock is limited and will soon run out. I so regret not having played around with yeast banking yet but I'm lazy and just buying yeast packs was simpy so convenient before...

Glad to hear you’ve come thru the other side of this thing.

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to inquire. I didn't realize I had people worried here and I must say I definitely appreciate it.

As it turns out it's very likely that I did indeed catch the dreaded bug sometimes in March. I don't have official confirmation though as no testing was performed due to the fact that my symptoms were only mild to moderate and since lab facilities are really working at 120% capacity 24/7 testing slots are allocated on a priority basis rather than a first-come-first-served basis. Luckily I was always a low priority and in this case I'm really glad I was as the alternative woud have obviously been quite dreadful, but based on the symptoms the probability that it was indeed COVID is quite high. I will freely admit to being scared shitless for a while there and I don't think that's something to be ashamed of... :oops:

Of the symptoms I experienced the most annoying was the complete loss of the sense of smell, making everything taste funny and rather unappetizing. I can personally confirm that even the best beer tastes quite awful if your sense of smell is gone, to the point that you're better off just drinking water... :( Luckily that's come back 100% and beer and all the other foodstuffs taste great again. :ban:

I also haven't been able to leave home for over a month but as we're still basically on complete lockdown I wouldn't know what to do once outside anyway, so... Luckily I can get everything I need delivered to my front door so that's not an issue, but unfortunately it looks like liquid yeast might become unavailable soon due to US yeast suppliers not delivering anymore so my next batches will have to be extra large ones as my yeast stock is limited and will soon run out. I so regret not having played around with yeast banking yet but I'm lazy and just buying yeast packs was simpy so convenient before...

We had it too, we believe. Late February/early March. My husband had a very high fever for days, but we were told to not go to the doctor or Urgent Care back then in Florida as there were no tests and they wouldn't do anything, unless were were having trouble breathing. We've been fine since about March 9th or so. All of our circle of friends went through this too, all of us at slightly different times. My son, who is in the Navy and came from his ship after deployment in late January. was (and is) perfectly fine.

I'm glad to hear you are ok....I was concerned since I had not seen any of your posts.

My family thinks I had it as well. Several weeks ago I experienced a constant fever, sweats, "stomach" problems, tightness in my chest, difficulty breathing, coughing up chest junk, dizziness like vertigo, body ache and tiredness. I thought it was food poisoning or an allergic reaction to eating a new meal. I would go outside late at night and early morning to try to cool off.

After a week, those systems were going away so I ate the same meal again. This time the systems got worse and lasted another week+. I was convinced it was an allergic reaction to the meal. I still had my taste sensory. I did take aspirin, Zicam (thinking cold) and cold/flu relief stuff. I have had a flu shot this year.

My family kept asking me to go through the drive-thru testing at a local hospital, but I was too stubborn. So, the systems lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. Then I noticed a lesion on the bottom of my foot. When I researched that, I discovered that my systems were similar to COVID-19. A week ago I learned a client who I met with about 10 days before I had my systems, had similar systems but his lasted for over six weeks.

I had the same meal a third time and have none of the above systems. Who knows what I had, I'm just glad I don't have it anymore. Once things settle down and pressures on first responders lessons, along with having more tests available, I will probably go get tested to see if I have antibodies. In the meantime, I'm staying away from people.

@Vale71, I'm glad you're back!

I'm glad everyone has pulled through! The more I read about the ways it kills (like the blood clots!) the more scared I get and relieved my family pulled through the first week of March. We couldn't get tested and the hospital told us to stay home unless we were having serious issues. My symptoms were extremely mild but my 3-year old had a fever for six days in a row and my wife had it so bad she almost took herself to the hospital twice. Every symptom, including loss of taste. Got winded and dizzy just peeling a potato.

I've experienced the loss of forum members and online friends over the years for all sorts of reasons and although I didn't know them face to face, the sense of loss is always real. I don't want that to happen here!

Stay safe, everyone.

I'm glad everyone has pulled through! The more I read about the ways it kills (like the blood clots!) the more scared I get and relieved my family pulled through the first week of March. We couldn't get tested and the hospital told us to stay home unless we were having serious issues. My symptoms were extremely mild but my 3-year old had a fever for six days in a row and my wife had it so bad she almost took herself to the hospital twice. Every symptom, including loss of taste. Got winded and dizzy just peeling a potato.

I've experienced the loss of forum members and online friends over the years for all sorts of reasons and although I didn't know them face to face, the sense of loss is always real. I don't want that to happen here!

Stay safe, everyone.

I'm glad you and your family are doing well. As a parent and a grandparent of a three year old, I can relate to the additional stress and concern especially concerning children and grandchildren.

You stay safe too!

Back