Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Mexican Hot Chocolate Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spelaeus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 70F
Tasting Notes
Smooth and rich. More chocolatey than roastey. Peppers/cinnamon round it out.
This was my first brew and done BIAB with some mistakes, so I got somewhat poor efficiency (~70%). Either adjust or just enjoy the bigger beer that I was originally shooting for. Either way should turn out fairly tasty.

Mashed at 154F for 90min
90min boil

Grain
13lb 2-row
2lb flaked oats
1lb chocolate malt
1lb amber DME
10oz Crystal 120
0.5lb Carafa III
4oz Crystal 10

Hops and boil additions
0.5oz Warrior @ 60min
2oz Willamette @ 60min
0.5lb lactose @ 15 min

Secondary
12oz toasted cocoa nibs
2 vanilla beans
2-3 2.5" cinnamon sticks
1-2 ancho pepper, de-seeded
Bourbon to cover

As to the flavorings added in secondary, I had them all mixed together in a tupperware container with just enough bourbon to saturate and cover for a week. Shook occasionally. Then prior to adding to the beer, tossed the lot into a pot and heated at low-med heat (to avoid tannin extraction) to boil off a chunk of the booze, then added it all with the solids in hop bags for easy removal. Taste every day or every couple days for desired flavor intensity. As I recall, this didn't even take a whole week before I removed the bags, a lot of the flavor was already in the bourbon, especially after heating. Exact amounts also require some tasting of ingredients, anchos can definitely vary significantly in heat.

All in all, this beer seems to go over pretty well with folks and I'm happy with it for my first brew despite a couple errors in the process.

Latest posts

Back