metallic taste in my favourite ales...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some questions...
what do you boil in?
only in bottles or do you only bottle?
do you have a water report from your utility?
are you on well water?

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

Cripes. I didn't think this posted - I mean in commercial brews! I mostly drink light ales but I've noticed it in Hobgoblin too - why is it there exactly? Is the only solution to drink it on draught? Hahah.

Drink Wychwood's HobGoblin, Wychcraft, Fiddler's elbow etc. quite a bit and have never noticed any metallic flavours or aftertaste.

Don't eat ludicrous amounts of spinach or live nearby a foundry by any chance, do you??;):mug:

sudsmcgee said:
I find that I get that taste sometimes if I drink from the bottle, but it's gone if I pour it into a glass.

Wipe the bottle opening with a clean damp rag before you sip. Youre tasting the metal from the cap on the bottle. Capping creates small scratches in the bottlecaps and sometimes you get a little rusty taste. Just wipe it before drinking itll go away i swear

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

Yeah, I get the taste sometimes too. Definitely less when poured into a glass. Wiping the bottle top sounds like a good idea.

Back