Messing with Customer Service

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonebeer

Reaction score
When I de-activate an XM radio, the customer service person asks "why?". I figure it's really none of his business. What's the most outrageous reason to give the guy to make him feel like shat for asking the question?

Simple. You say you don't like it.

Or you could say, Every time you listen to XM it feels like a red hot poker has been stuck between your ears and the pain is unbearable. Yep.

Im liking Dan's answer...be honest. Sometimes the truth hurts and gets the best reaction. I bitched about my cable bill, told them I couldn't afford it (truth). They lowered it to an affordable rate, no loss of service.

Tell them that it has more commercials than OTA radio. Why pay twice?

or tell them that it has become a terrible addiction that has ruined your marriage and as a result your signifigant other has left you and taken your favorite dog.

Just tell him that Satan told you to cancel it. CS people always get really nervous when you bring up Satan. Try it, be creative, it's really fun!

Im liking Dan's answer...be honest. Sometimes the truth hurts and gets the best reaction. I bitched about my cable bill, told them I couldn't afford it (truth). They lowered it to an affordable rate, no loss of service.

That works with subscription radio, too. We called to cancel after getting the renewal notice when the free trial expired. The price went down drasitcally.

My wife likes Octane and I like the comedy station, but really, it isn't better for the price than regular radio.

That works with subscription radio, too. We called to cancel after getting the renewal notice when the free trial expired. The price went down drasitcally.

My wife likes Octane and I like the comedy station, but really, it isn't better for the price than regular radio.

Very true! I got it for free for 6 months when I bought my new car back in July. It was running out and I got letter after letter, call after call to resubscribe. I called the day it was running out and told them I had a letter that offered 6 months for $27.99 (which I did). Hold out and hold out and hold out.... they'll drop their price.

But I do like the idea of messing around with customer service. And I like the idea of saying "I found a way to get it for free! Thanks and have a nice day."

Tell them that last month you decided to become Amish and are not allowed to use any electronic or electric devices. Make some kind of reference to using the computer during the conversation. Maybe even something about a TV or cable subscription. Then see if they catch on that you are using a phone and a computer and argue with them about denying that you truly are Amish.

My buddy's dad once told a phone salesperson, trying to sell termite service, that he lived in a house constructed of 100% concrete. That was interesting to see the salesperson try to come up with something to sell.

Back