Mesh Tea Balls in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCannin

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has input when it comes to using these tea balls filled with hops in a keg. I did a search, with no return on my exact question. Is it worth while to just dump the ball in the keg, leave it sit for a while, carb up and serve with the hop ball still in the keg? I figure the beer will be drawn over the hop ball at the bottom of the dip tube making for a great dry hop aroma. Anyone have experience with this? I know lots of people pull them out with a piece of fishing line tied to them...

The hop oils are more or less extracted after a couple weeks, so leaving the tea ball in makes no difference. Some hops cause grassy aromas if left in too long. I give them a week and pull the bag.

You can always re-hop later to freshen the keg.

A mod on this forum, Edwort, dry hops with a 3 inch mesh tea ball in the keg. He leaves it in until the keg is empty. I want to do the same but my local wal-mart didn't have the balls, so I need to order online or keep looking elsewhere.

I use these in my keg, and was actually surprised that it floats. Even after a week soaking in the beer. If I'm feeling lazy, I zip tie it somewhere on the liquid out dip tube. That way, the beer eventually goes below the ball. Or, you could just pull it out after a week or 2 like David said.

A mod on this forum, Edwort, dry hops with a 3 inch mesh tea ball in the keg. He leaves it in until the keg is empty. I want to do the same but my local wal-mart didn't have the balls, so I need to order online or keep looking elsewhere.
I got one at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I got a large one at Target.

It depends on what I'm making, but I have left it in the keg for the entire time. Of course, I drink my IPAs and APAs very quickly, so a full keg only lasts 2-3 weeks at the most.

My opinion is that the dryhopping in the kegs at cold temperatures seems to slow down the process a bit, and I haven't ever had any grassy taste or off-flavors due to leaving the hops in the keg. Of course, it if was an IIPA or something that would be kegged a bit longer, I might have an issue then.

I just tried the SS herb ball approach on my I Pee Eh? It has worked great so far, (only a few days in the keg). I tied a piece of non-waxed, non-flavored floss to it, (and removed the chain, which apparently ISN'T SS), and ran the floss up and out the keg lid. It still seals fine with the floss in between O-ring and lid seat, and now I can pull it out whenever I deem necessary.

Back