Filtering Hops During Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Drinklestien

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any hops that make their way into kegs while kegging a dry hopped brew will cause some clogging issues down the line. I've started to use muslin bags clamped to the bottom of the filling tube to catch most of the hop particles while transfering to a keg, but there's still some particles that make it through and usually two out of three kegs ends up having the dip tube removed and purged a few times to remove the hop clog. I keg directly from my conical (Spike CF15), 17 gallon batches for 3 x 5 gallon cornys. I did think to use hop baskets to dry hop direct in the kegs but I would end up having to fish them back out after 10 days or so to avoid grassy flavours. I had also thought about the option to divide the hops into three separate hop baskets and place them direct in the conical for the dry hop stage to get more contact with the wort...Does anyone have a solution for filtering hop matter during kegging or is the hop basket the way to go via the keg or conical.

Cheers

Have you tried cold crashing for a few days before transferring? If so and you’re still having problems, do you think the racking arm is too low?

You could use a floating dip tube(like the FlotIt v2) in the conical and in the keg. Seems like a solid solution.

In regards to cold crashing prior to transfer my hands are tied, I have to ferment at ambient temp, so i'm limited to 50F in the winter and 62 in the summer. I like the look and idea of the FlotIt v2, after kegging and sitting in the keezer for a week while carbing, the hops should fall to the bottom of the keg with so no risk of clogging. I didn't check on the price per unit but seems like a viable solution and worth giving it a go compared to the muslin bags.

Thanks for the tip

IMG_9639.JPG

Latest posts

Back