merky (stuck?) fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AN_TKE

Reaction score
Here is a new one for me:

I brewed 10 gallons of a SN celebration a few weeks ago and fermentation has been happily bubbling along in two seperate 6 gal. HDPE buckets at 72-degrees. Fermentation appeared to stop last week sometime and I racked to secondary yesterday.

Two slightly different results:
One had not cleared like i am used to seeing and SG was at 1018, Original G was at 1071. Taste was off, plasticy flavor, not good.

The other was more clear, although not as good as usual, and had a FG of 1011. Flavor off like the first.

Could I be a victom of contamination? This is AG #38 for me over the past 3 years and I am happy to say I haven't ever had a contaminated batch - could this be the one?

Anyone have any ideas? I am letting both vessels sit, dry hopping, waiting for more bubbles.....no significant signs yet.

Thanks.

Yeah, let them sit longer and see what another couple of weeks gets you. If you are confident in your sanitizing, I wouldn't worry about contamination. Make sure your lids, stoppers, airlocks, etc. are properly attached so there is no leakage around those areas.

i have the really merky one in a glass carboy now and the other in a better bottle. the merky one looks red almost. there will be no dumping, but im sweatin' it a bit.

two different kettles. Maybe one has more trub than the other, but it should have cleared by now....

Back