Memoirs of a poor man who can't brew beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraplop

Reaction score
I received a Mr Beer kit for Christmas and I have since been pretty psyched about brewing beer. I brewed up my first batch and it wasn't too bad. It was a Pale Ale mix that used half malt extract and half malto dextrin. It was a bit light, but still had character to it and didn't taste watered down like many commercial brews.

Unfortunately, every single batch I have made since has developed a sour taste. It is probably getting infected. Some are really sour and some are not that sour and somewhat drinkable. I was trying to figure out what was different about the first batch that made it turn out better, but after it had aged a month or so, I noticed a very slight sourness to it as well, it was just a lot more faint.

I am thinking its an infection of some kind, but I don't get ring around the bottle, and none of the bottles gush or explode (except in one odd circumstance that I will mention later). I did notice though, that sometimes, but not always there is chill haze. Since this happens to me on every batch I know there has to be something very wrong with they way I am making beer.

The Mr Beer process is a little different than the process you would go through to make a 5 gallon batch. I am going to step through it here, and maybe someone can tell me if there is something wrong with it:

I start off by mixing 1 tbsp of One Step to a gallon of water and dump it into my keg. The keg holds more than 2 gallons so In order to sanitize the whole thing, I first shake it up pretty good, and let it soak it for 5 minutes, then turn the keg over so that the solution soaks on to the other side for another 5 minutes. I also put the stirring spoon, measuring cup, can opener, etc inside the keg so that everything else gets sanitized. The last few times I have also been sanitizing the cans of malt extract as well. After the keg is soaked, I also soak my pot (you don't boil the malt extract with a Mr Beer kit so I have to make sure ithe pot is bacteria free) I dump the one step solution into a bucket to keep my utensils in and close the keg

Once everything is sanitized I take 4 cups of water and bring to a boil, add the malt extract, and stir it a little. I then take some water that was boiled for 15 minutes the previous night and refrigerated, and put one gallon of it in the keg, then I dump the extract in, then top off and fill it with cooled boiled water until it gets to the 2 gallon mark.

At this point I stir it all up with my sanitized stirring spoon to aerate it, close the keg and let it sit for 5 minutes, then I add the yeast. I would take the temp but I have done the process a couple times and when you put that much cold water in there it will always end up being 60 to 70 degrees. After I put the yeast in, I give it another good stir, close it up and store it in my closet for fermentation.

The fermentation seems normal, it will usually take a good 24 hours for a layer of krausen to appear, it will dissipate after several days, and usually by 2 weeks its mostly clear and I will bottle it.

The Mr Beer kits only come with enough one-step to make 1 gallon of solution, so I end up filling the bottles only half way with the solution because I have enough of them for 2 gallons of beer. Since its only half way filled, I just shake them alot (with the crown on but not clamped on yet). I let em sit for 10 minutes, dump the solution out and fill em up with beer. I then put just regular sugar in for priming (I have a feeling this might be a source of infection). Then clamp the caps and let em carbonate.

After one week they usually taste like crap. Well usually not that bad, but sour, and I don't like it.

I have read that using regular sugar can cause infections, but Dave Miller thinks this is rare. Even so I might try to use those carbonation pellets that Cooper's sells next time to eliminate this possibility.

Even if the sugar is infected, I have a feeling that this is not the only problem. I can sometimes detect hints of sourness and a distinct aloholic smell before bottling. However, the sourness is much stronger after a week in the bottle so it makes me think that maybe the bottles or the sugar itself is the main problem. Sometimes I second guess myself and wonder if what I taste in the beer before bottling is normal.

A couple notes: I tried using spring water one time (i did not boil it) with the same results, except for one thing that was really odd. When I put the sugar in the bottle, it would cause an instant reaction in the beer that made it gush and foam up. They did not gush after carbonation. It only happened with this particular batch and I thought it was really strange.

I also tried bleaching the crap out of my keg (and eventually replaced it) in case there was an infection living in it, but it didn't help.

Anyways, I have 2 more recipe kits to brew and I'm hoping to brew a good batch again. I do kind of want to brew 5 gallon batches, but I'm afraid that if I don't find out what is going wrong, that I will just end up ruining 5 gallons of beer instead of 2.

For my next batch, I am going to bleach the crap out of my keg (rinse it well) and then also soak it in onestep solution like normal. I am also going to buy some carbonation drops from Cooper's.

Is there anything else wrong with my process that I should change? Or maybe I should just chuck my keg out the window and stick to just buying beer in the store?

How do you treat the sugar you prime with? Most of us put it in boiling water, and make a solution which we mix in with our batch.

Why not try some other sanitizer, and get some more of it. Sanitation is obviously your beer's downfall, so hit it with some different stuff ... try iodophor, or the chlorinated pink powder, or whatever.

Everything that touches your beer or your equipment must be sanitized. You can't lay a spoon on the counter and then put it in your beer. Everything has to be sanitized, period.

I keep a bucket of sanitizing solution on the counter... I can wash and rinse as I go.

My guess is you've met lacto bacillus - desireable in some styles but, generally, it tastes pretty bad. You're not spitting in your beer are you? That's a pretty good source of lacto bacillus.
Seriously though, one step has a reputation as a good cleaner but a poor sanitizer. If sanitation is your problem then you need to invest in some good stuff - get some starsan, mix it at the appropriate concentration with distilled water.
Also, that water you store in the fridge, make sure it's been boiled before you put it in there. The container should be sanitary and sealed, fridges are a notorious place for bacteria to hang out. Anything that contacts your beer must be sanitized prior to use and resantized if your hands touch it or if it touches the counter. Any liquids must be boiled before being added to the beer - priming sugar (please use corn sugar and not table sugar BTW) should be dissolved in boiling water. While some get away with not boiling the top up water you should definitely boil it since you're having problems with infections.
Pull out all the stops.. boil everything but the yeast.. though you should boil the water that you use to rehydrate your yeast. Also, wipe your yeast packet down with rubbing alcohol and wipe your scissors/knife with alcohol before you cut open the packet. Wipe the can and the can opener with rubbing alcohol and spray them with star san.
As for bottling, run the bottles through the dishwasher (NO DETERGENT) with the high temp wash, then santitize them thoroughly with star san. Be sure to sanitize the caps as well.

Hang in there and we'll get this sorted out, I know how bad it sucks to have a ruined batch.

two possible sources of infection that I see and some possible solutions.

(1) putting all of that equipment inside your keg and shaking it will VERY likely have caused scratches all over the inside of it. If you have scratches in there, bacteria can hide and sanitizers will have a hard time getting in there to do their work and kill the little buggers.

solution: get a new Mr Beer keg or (better) a 3 gallon glass carboy and airlock. You could keep using Mr Beer kits with this sized fermenter.

or: if possible, boil the mr beer keg or fill it with boiling water. If you can get the outside temp of the thing over 180°F, that should kill anything that might be living in there.

(2) using the table sugar. not because it's table sugar, but because you are not sanitizing it prior to putting it into the beer. Not only is individual batch priming this way more open to infection, it is also tedious and inconsistant.

solution: hmmm... you can't really batch prime since that would stir up the sediment. bummer. I guess you could still prime individually, but do it with a sugar syrup that you make by boiling your sugar in water for 10 minutes.

-walker

yup...its probably the sugar. Regardless of what Dave Miller says you must sanitize everything that comes in contact with the beer.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Sasquatch,

I don't actually treat the sugar, I just dump it in. The instructions I had didn't mention anything about doing that. But that is a good point, next time I will either boil my sugar or I will get Cooper's Carbonation drops. I would assume that they would be safe to just drop in, but maybe I will have to double check that.

Lost,

That is interesting about one-step. I think I will get some of that Star San stuff; I have heard good things about it. Also, good point on the yeast packet, that is probably the only thing I didn't sanitize.

Walker-san,

Yeah, no batch priming is one of the downside to having a single fermenter, although I was thinking of doing this anyway, and just let the keg sit like an hour to let the trub settle.

Bjorn borg,

I was also thinking that the sugar is probably the main problem, what do you think of these carbonation drops?

Check it out:

http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.asp?productID=1183&sectionID=1

ultraplop said:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Yeah, no batch priming is one of the downside to having a single fermenter, although I was thinking of doing this anyway, and just let the keg sit like an hour to let the trub settle.

That would probably work.

ultraplop said:
I was also thinking that the sugar is probably the main problem, what do you think of these carbonation drops?

there was a thread discussion the opinions of these a couple of weeks ago. that you can probably dig up on here. The reviews were mixed, if I recall. I don't think there is any way to sanitize them (any method would ruin or melt them), so they are just dropped into the bottles.

Question: have you ever tased the beer prior to bottling it? If the sour taste is present prior to bottling, then you could make the conclusion that it is something with the keg or fermentation and not with your priming sugar.

-walker

Question: have you ever tased the beer prior to bottling it? If the sour taste is present prior to bottling, then you could make the conclusion that it is something with the keg or fermentation and not with your priming sugar.

Yes I have tasted it and its harder to tell, but I think there is a hint of sourness. It's definitely not as pronounced so its hard to tell if its beginning to sour or if its some other taste that might be normal. A couple of batches had a noticable alcoholic smell to them (smelled kind of like wine).

So I can't say for sure that the only problem is the bottling phase.

Well, I just boiled some water and stuck it in the fridge (covered). Tomorrow, before I brew I'm going to pick up some star san and clean my keg with it. Maybe I will use star san and one step, just to be sure.

My first brews had that sour taste and It's hard to put my finger on what it was that caused it because I changed loads of variables with each successive brew. However, once I started boiling all of the ingredients and moved away from bottling to kegging that flavour disappeared altogether. You may want to consider a closed fermentation too.

Whatever you do don't revert back to store-bought beer. Keep browsing these forums and keep reading up on it.

I'm sure it's just me, but I always had problems making really good beer with Mr. Beer kits. I am definitely not trying to say anything bad about them, I'm sure they're great! but the 2 batches i did with Mr. Beer had some pretty noticible off-flavors. Once I moved to brewing with a carboy and all that jazz my brews were a bit higher in quality. This could be that I was intimiated and didn't understand then brewing process when I first started brewing with Mr. Beer and by the time I was using carboys, specialtly grains, hops and such I had a much better handle on what I was doing... so it probably was just me.

At any rate, good luck! I would definitely stay away from table-sugar and either get some DME (dried malt extract) or corn-sugar and use that.

Are you using the same gallon of one-step to sanitize your bottles (a week later, or whenever) that you used on brew day? (I think that's what you said.)

If so, how is it stored during that week? I'd be a little leary about this--how does one know if it is still effective?

If I were you, I'd try changing your sanitization regime using star san or iodophor, and I'd also boil the prinming sugar.

If that doesn't fix it, you probably have lacto bacillus being harbored somewhere (scratches in the plastic keg, maybe) in your gear and it will be extremely difficult to get rid of it.

Here's a bottle sanitizing trick I picked up along the way. It allows you to sanitze ALL of your bottles COMPLETELY.

Fill up a couple of bottles to the top with sanitizer. When you start to run out of sanitizer, dump the contents from the first bottle you filled back into the bucket for reuse, then put the bottle on the drying rack. Keep doing this as needed.

Now, I use StarSan and/or Iodaphor for sanitizing and these are "instant" sanitizers. Since I do 5 gallon batches, this gives the bottles at least 3-5 minutes to sanitize before I dump. I also rinse the dirty bottles out thoroughly before putting in any sanitizer. This makes sure that any fur gets flushed out.

cweston,

Well the kits come with 2 tbsp packets of one-step. I use 1 tbsp for brewing, then I dump the solution out when Im done. Then I wrap up the packet, stick it in a drawer, and save the rest for bottling. So I don't store the solution itself, just the dry powder. Sorry, that was a bit misleading the way I said it before.

Cheesefood,

Thats a good tip, I will try that next time.

How much money have you invested in your ingredients so far? The reason I ask is at some point all of your contaminated beers will add up to an amount that would have equaled a pretty simple carboy or plastic bucket alternative. Aside from the bucket/carboy, all you really need is a good brewpot. It may be easier and create less headaches if you simply stepped up to the new equipment with a <75 dollar investment (depending on whether you have a big boiling pot available). At least that's a good way to justify it to the better half.

Heh heh that is true. I've probably dumped a good 40-50 dollars down the drain.

Although, I don't think I want to do that just yet. I don't want to go from ruining 2 gallon batches, to ruining 5 gallon ones :drunk:

ahh fond memories of mr beer

it will make beer..really!

it's not the best beer I've made but it was good enough to get me interested in brewing.

I'm not really sure what's causing the sour taste. as i remember if you follow the instructions to the letter it will make beer something along the lines of a black label beer. when i did the mr. beer routine i used bleach instead of the one step and rinsed profusely

Heh heh that is true. I've probably dumped a good 40-50 dollars down the drain.

Although, I don't think I want to do that just yet. I don't want to go from ruining 2 gallon batches, to ruining 5 gallon ones

actually though the process of making beer in it's simplest form - a carboy and a bucket offers more of a chance to nail a good batch of beer. i wouldn't say you've wasted money as much as you've invested money in a very enjoyable hobby.

I too got a Mr. Beer for Christmas and have now made 4 batches. These last 2 were by far my best ones and the only difference in my process was changing my sanitizer from One Step to Iodaphor. The first two batches gave me an off flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger one, but this latest Backwoods Altbier is as good a brew as anything I've ever tasted from the store. Stick with it.

I recently bought all the equipment for kegging 5 gallon batches and can't wait to get started. I'm getting low on homebrew so I gotta make me some beer.

brewhead,

Maybe I will get a 5 gallon kit after I use up my Mr Beer recipe kits, I only have one left.

TK421,

I just brewed one up last night, I used the whispering wheat weissenbier hopped malt extract, and the pale export malt extract. I sanitized the crap out of everything. First, I bleached the keg the previous night. Then last night I soaked it in onestep, drained it and soaked it a second time with star san. Hopefully it does the trick and turns out.

ultraplop said:
brewhead,

Maybe I will get a 5 gallon kit after I use up my Mr Beer recipe kits, I only have one left.

TK421,

I just brewed one up last night, I used the whispering wheat weissenbier hopped malt extract, and the pale export malt extract. I sanitized the crap out of everything. First, I bleached the keg the previous night. Then last night I soaked it in onestep, drained it and soaked it a second time with star san. Hopefully it does the trick and turns out.

Now that my friend is sanitizing!

FTR, you sanitize a lot more than I ever have. I just use tap water and regular sugar. I also have never sanitized my extract cans, but have thought about it.

You'll be making great beer in no time.

Everyone on this thread keeps talking about sanitation as if the beer was infected. After reading your regiment i'm hesitant to think this is your problem. Usually if your beer has been infected you'll know by the fowl taste and smell and a ring in the neck of the bottles. Your beer is just sour.

My guess is it's the yeast. I used Danstar Nottingham dry yeast with three batches of a golden ale, a light, and a hefeweizen and all three had a sour taste. In fact all three were almost identical in taste period! I've never used a Mr. Beer kit myself, so I don't know what kind of yeast come with these kits. If it is a dry yeast, this would also explain why the sour taste, from what I've heard, is prominent in all Mr. Beer kits.

My tip: invest some cash into a good 7.5 gal kettle. Grab some 5 gal plastic buckets to use as a primary and secondary, a siphon, and move away from the Mr Beer kit.

Also, track down some Oxcine. I get mine from a microbrewery I used to work at so I don't know where to find it. The stuff is great though. It's a liquid concentrate sanitizer. You just dilute a bit into a spray bottle and spray everything down. Sanitizes instantly so you don't have to worry about soaking utensils. And, since it won't lend any off flavors to your beer, you can be as generous with it as you please and still don't have to rinse.

Back