Melted plastic/metallic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Brewed a blonde ale a while back that included grits in the mash (did a cereal mash). Fermented with s-05 in a swamp cooler, but had a sudden cold snap so the fermentation was very slow to start. Cracked a few open; all have a horribly strong burnt plastic/metallic taste. I used well water, so no chlorine added in. Thoughts on possible causes?

Even if he had, well water isn't always consistent. Water tables rise and fall resulting in different mineral (or other) content.

I dunno about the metal, but I believe the plastic taste is a classic symptom of chlorine... which I'm sure you already know, having stated that your water was unchlorinated.

The temps seem fine, and I wouldn't worry about a slow start. I would suggest mailing a sample to a water analysis company and reviewing the results.

FYI, sometimes... sometimes a pet store will do a very basic water analysis for you (for their fish tank customers). Doesn't tell you a ton of details, but it might clue you in to the problem.

Out of curiosity... what vessel are you fermenting in?

Even if he had, well water isn't always consistent. Water tables rise and fall resulting in different mineral (or other) content.

Actually this statement is entirely dependent on the depth of the well and even still, wells (ground water) are expected to be much more consistent than surface water reservoirs.

Always brewed with this well water with no problems at all. Used a plastic fermentation bucket, which is what I always use.

RedGuitar said:
Always brewed with this well water with no problems at all. Used a plastic fermentation bucket, which is what I always use.

My friend once poured his hot wort directly into the fermentation bucket which caused a plastic taste to his ale.

Nope, wort was chilled. Followed every step I normally take, first ever flavor like this, and it is bad.

Actually this statement is entirely dependent on the depth of the well and even still, wells (ground water) are expected to be much more consistent than surface water reservoirs.

+1

My water table is at 560 feet, with a 720 foot deep well, yup, its consistent. But if you are running a 20 foot shallow well, then expect some variablilty....

Back