Medievalish recipe needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
A friend has asked me to make him a barrel of beer for a hog roast in the summer. He said he wants it to be medieval, at least in inspiration. It has to be a crowd pleaser so nothing too weird.
I want to use hops as opposed to a gruit as i don't think a no hop beer would go down too well. I'm thinking of keeping it around 5abv. Apart from that I'm open to ideas.

Anyone got any good recipes?

I've thought about using this one. Its a slightly modernized take on a traditional recipe. Never made it.

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mediaeval/fetch-recipe.php?rid=medi-samll-beer

Most really accurate recipes seem to be quite sweet and heavy with virtually no bittering (and almost certainly no hops). I would run with the "inspiration" and make an amber ale with some herbs (and hops) even if it's not accurate. Maybe chamomile? You can also fudge and make something like an 1800s porter (with a bunch of brown malt...mmmmm) that would seem pretty "old fashioned" to the bmc crowd. The non beer geeks wouldn't know what to do with a truly accurate version I think!

I'm pretty sure medieval and modern day crowd pleaser are mutually exclusive. If I were to do it though I'd just make a smoked amber ale and give it a medieval name hahah. I'd maybe play with some rosemary and other herbs to accent or replace the hops if I had more adventurous guests.

I like the idea of a little smoked malt to simulate traditional malt drying from that time. I wouldn't go overboard, just a hint of smoke. Maybe make 2 beers if you can.
Beer a ) amber with a touch of smoke, maybe light amounts of herbs.

Beer b) more traditional beer for the nerds. Gruit? Graff?

I think you want a beer that EVOKES the middle ages, not tastes like them, right?

If that's the case, here's my idea:

90% base malt (English if you can, or add a half ounce biscuit for every pound US 2-row)
5% Flaked oats
3-4% Crystal 65 (Fawcett if my favorite)
1-2% Smoked malt

Mash high (156). No whirlfloc.
3 ounces Fuggles for 60 minutes
Steep one ounce Fuggles for 20 minutes after flameout before chilling.

English yeast of choice, ferment mid 60s.

I would buy some cubitainers for serving. Hide them in a fake cask.

It should be mildly cloudy, slightly red, with a great mouthfeel.

Back