me fiddling on the ol banjo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigfootCounty

Reaction score
Just screwing around

I figured there would be some bluegrass heads here at HBT

hope you enjoy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0NVxeOWVAk&feature=related]good ol' mountain dew - YouTube[/ame]

Very nice!
Made me think of this...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiT2ignyEc]Alison Krauss + Union Station - Choctaw Hayride 2002 Live stereo HD widescreen - YouTube[/ame]

nice, thanks for sharing. i've played banjo for about 12 years. big fan of the old school traditional stuff.

how long you been pickin away and what kind of banjo is that? is it an open back?

Sweet, I dig bluegrass. Do you get into Hayseed Dixie?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWl5peI8HY]Hayseed Dixie - Bohemian Rhapsody video - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxh492o2aM]Hayseed Dixie - Ace of Spades - YouTube[/ame]

android said:
nice, thanks for sharing. i've played banjo for about 12 years. big fan of the old school traditional stuff.

how long you been pickin away and what kind of banjo is that? is it an open back?

Nice to see some other banjo pickers here

I bet you shred after playing for so long!!!
I have been playing for almost a year. Once I picked it up I was hooked.

It is a Morgan Monroe hobo open back and I love it. Resonators Are too expensive for me. I would like to have one but I have too many other expensive hobbies.

What style do you play? and what do you play it on?

Nice to see some other banjo pickers here

I bet you shred after playing for so long!!!
I have been playing for almost a year. Once I picked it up I was hooked.

It is a Morgan Monroe hobo open back and I love it. Resonators Are too expensive for me. I would like to have one but I have too many other expensive hobbies.

What style do you play? and what do you play it on?

i started off learning to play clawhammer for a year or so (which I still like to play occasionally) and then moved on to the "scruggs" style 3 finger picking, similar to what you're doing but with the thumb and finger picks. my biggest influence is definitely ralph stanley, but there have been many others along the way.

i've got a gibson rb250, the neck is from 1993 and the pot is from 1967. it was put together by a guy in colorado springs, where i got it many years ago in 2001. they are definitely pricey, i got this one for a fairly reasonable deal and i love the sound of it. i used to do quite a bit of gigging when I lived in Colorado, so I needed one that would be loud enough to be heard through all the other instruments. i took the better part of the last 3-4 years off from playing (grad school got in the way) and finally found a group of guys who need a banjo player once a month or so, so I've been getting back into it over the last year or so... once i got the cobwebs blown off, it came back pretty quick. and i've never stopped listening to bluegrass/old school country, so the mindset was always there, i just had to practice my way back up to get back in the groove...

keep on pickin!

edit: open back banjos are a blast!

Enjoyed it! I play a little banjo too. One of my favorite albums ever...

Appalachian Swing.jpg

that Johnnie kid is sweet, i've seen his videos/band before.

shelly belly, that colonels album looks great, i might have to see if i can track that one down!

Definitely do. Funny thing is, it was my classical guitar instructor that turned me on to this album. He said, and I agree, "the guitarist on this album is one of the best you'll ever hear".

Another would be banjo picker here. Also mandolin and guitar. I also have an old bass fiddle. Not terribly good on either but they sure are fun.
Frank Neat RB-4 banjo
Gibson F5G mandolin
Martin HD-28 guitar
King bass

i started off learning to play clawhammer for a year or so (which I still like to play occasionally) and then moved on to the "scruggs" style 3 finger picking, similar to what you're doing but with the thumb and finger picks. my biggest influence is definitely ralph stanley, but there have been many others along the way.

i've got a gibson rb250, the neck is from 1993 and the pot is from 1967. it was put together by a guy in colorado springs, where i got it many years ago in 2001. they are definitely pricey, i got this one for a fairly reasonable deal and i love the sound of it. i used to do quite a bit of gigging when I lived in Colorado, so I needed one that would be loud enough to be heard through all the other instruments. i took the better part of the last 3-4 years off from playing (grad school got in the way) and finally found a group of guys who need a banjo player once a month or so, so I've been getting back into it over the last year or so... once i got the cobwebs blown off, it came back pretty quick. and i've never stopped listening to bluegrass/old school country, so the mindset was always there, i just had to practice my way back up to get back in the groove...

keep on pickin!

edit: open back banjos are a blast!

do you have any videos and/or youtube of you playing?

I've never been able to get into finger picks the things drive me crazy.

I know a few slower songs and some 2 finger songs that I can use picks on but anything remotely fast and I am making a ruckus

clawhammer is super sick I love that style

keep on picking brother!

Another would be banjo picker here. Also mandolin and guitar. I also have an old bass fiddle. Not terribly good on either but they sure are fun.
Frank Neat RB-4 banjo
Gibson F5G mandolin
Martin HD-28 guitar
King bass

sick setup!

my better half plays the mando and has just horse traded up a nice fiddle

nothing better than playing music you love with people you love

here is another vid of some half decent picking

this is a super old traditional song that I adapted from the guitar version

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/OreganicLiving#p/u/4/nUfFy7rugls]OreganicLiving's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

do you have any videos and/or youtube of you playing?

unfortunately, no, i'll see if i can make one up sometime.

in the meantime, here's our OLD myspace band page that still has a few of our live tunes on it (ca. 2005):

Hot Lunch Bluegrass Tribute | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

that second song on there 'Headstock' i wrote a number of years ago, the rest of the songs on there are singing tunes, a few originals to the band, and 'don't laugh', an old Louvin brothers song.

we participated in the RockyGrass band contest two years in a row and got 2nd both times (bands from North Carolina beat us out 2 years in a row!)... fun times.

Back