MD Fall Brewday -Nov 14th, Joppa MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a round braid in my 5 gallon that I wont be using as I am splitting a brew with Yunus. Do you need just the braid? or the whole setup, spigot and all? Ill just bring the whole damn thing. Its 3/8", I also have a 1/2" setup in my 2 gallon MLT (for partials) that could be adapted possibly....

I also found a 60 quart Igloo cooler at the thrift store for 7 bucks so I will be building a manifold for that and making it my main MLT from now on, w00t. Should I bring that if it is ready?

I have a burner that I am bringing, along with some other equipment, as a just in case.

adx:

I think my roommate is down with the porter idea, although I'm not sure brown is the way to go in a barrel like this.

Normally we're keen on Jamil's robust porter, but i'm open to suggestions.

adx:

I think my roommate is down with the porter idea, although I'm not sure brown is the way to go in a barrel like this.

Normally we're keen on Jamil's robust porter, but i'm open to suggestions.

brown is the ideal way to go, its a simpler flavor so it will enhance the flavor of the whiskey!

brown is the ideal way to go, its a simpler flavor so it will enhance the flavor of the whiskey!

I use a brown porter recipe as the base for my Bourbon Porter. A lighter porter doesn't get in the way of the other flavors. Never did it with oak though.

OK change of plans.

We can do 10 gallons of a porter and split it. I realized I need something to go into the barrel too. Do you want to do a brown porter or a robust porter? Pick one.

Let's do a brown porter. adx, do you have a recipe for a brown porter that you would like to brew?

We can always brew Jamil's "Who's Your Taddy Porter" for lack of any better ideas.

This is the recipe for an 11 gal batch.
19.00 lb - Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
2.00 lb - Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)
2.00 lb - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.25 lb - Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
2.75 oz - Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
1.00 oz - Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU

London Ale yeast is recommended.

Let me know if you are planning on getting the ingredients.

Sounds like a plan. I have the MO and Fuggles. I also have Crystal 60L which would be fine in place of the 40L. Would just need some Brown and Chocolate malt. I can swing by MDHB at some point this week. It's on the way home.

Sounds like a plan. I have the MO and Fuggles. I also have Crystal 60L which would be fine in place of the 40L. Would just need some Brown and Chocolate malt. I can swing by MDHB at some point this week. It's on the way home.

That's cool. Since we are replacing Crystal 40 with Crystal 60, we will only need 1.5 lb of Crystal 60. If they don't have brown malt, you can substitute special roast.

I am planning on using Danstar Windsor yeast, I have 2 packs if you are interested in one.

That's cool. Since we are replacing Crystal 40 with Crystal 60, we will only need 1.5 lb of Crystal 60. If they don't have brown malt, you can substitute special roast.

I am planning on using Danstar Windsor yeast, I have 2 packs if you are interested in one.

Since I'm going I'll just pick up the 40L while I'm there. I have a pack of S-04 and a vial of WLP-013. If I can get a starter going I'm going to use the 013, otherwise I'll just use the S-04.

Now what else do I buy...

I am getting excited now. I just weighed out my portion of the grain bill and pulled out the hops. I need to get a yeast starter going to wake up the little guys, not so much to build up cell count.

Is anyone bringing anything interesting to drink?

I'll be bringing my Mint Chocolate Stout, Stone IPA clone and Bavarian Witbier. Possibility of Pumpkin Ale too, just waiting on the bottles to finish carbing.

Is anyone bringing anything interesting to drink?

I have a bitter and if I get around to it I can keg the scottish bastard.

Anyone have any requests from state line?

No, I have Stefin's Kilted Kitten scotty, the hoppy Alt, and that high ABV non-IIPA. :)

Hell, if you are trying to kill those I might not even bring anything.

So I just checked and it is supposed to rain saturday. Ryan you should bring your tent so we can set it up, almost catch it on fire, and fight with it all day. That way we can gaurantee that it won't rain.

Rain, you have to be kidding me!!!

I do not want to throw a wrench in the plans here, but I can offer up my place, I have a fairly large 2.5 car garage. If we want to weather the storm I am game for Joppa too. I am seeing only 50% chance of rain for Joppa.

It really all depends on how fast or slow this storm blows through. I would be fine with your place though.

Is anyone else still looking to split something? I just talked to a friend of mine that used to be on here (madman) and he is probably coming down.

Rain, you have to be kidding me!!!

I do not want to throw a wrench in the plans here, but I can offer up my place, I have a fairly large 2.5 car garage. If we want to weather the storm I am game for Joppa too. I am seeing only 50% chance of rain for Joppa.

It'd be a bit of a stretch to make it up your way Ryan. I'm just hoping weather in Joppa holds out.

wunderground.com shows 40% chance or rain, low 60s.

we'll make sure that there's some room to sit inside in the garage during the boil. the problems with the tent seemed to be more of how to fasten it down in the wind than actually catching fire...

wunderground.com shows 40% chance or rain, low 60s.

we'll make sure that there's some room to sit inside in the garage during the boil. the problems with the tent seemed to be more of how to fasten it down in the wind than actually catching fire...

But if we use it we know it won't rain.

I like Dig Dug's theory of bring a tent and it won't rain. I will pack it with my gear. I have no idea how we would get it anchored, and taking it down in a rain storm would suck too.

Does the tent have tabs on the feet to put blocks on it? I have a some pavers under my deck and could bring 4 of them up to hold it down.

No, it is a camping screen tent, not like the tailgating variety. The feet are just poles that taper to a point.

Back