MD/DC brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say let's do it. Small to start if we have to but build the thing up!! I'm done. I can host one to get us all together and started.

iceman1407

Ha ha, must be a lot of folks brewing pumpkin ales right now... the Giant by me is totally sold out of Libby's.

Anyway, between deck and stovetop I can probably fit 4 simultaneous brewers here if people bring their own burners and stuff. I'm doing a brew day with 5-6 friends on Saturday, we'll see how it goes!

There's a HBS near 7 corners, also, I think. I haven't been because I work in Reston and my commute excludes me from all but their Saturday hours. The website is pretty unimpressive.

I like the LHBS in 7 corners. I give em a fair amount of business. I've always found the prices reasonable (barely more than buying online) and the owner friendly and helpful, but others disagree.

I am also a Alexandria/Arlington area brewer. myLHBS is just down the street and I haven't had any problems with them either. I go there for odds and ends mostly. I am still doing the partial mash brews, but would like to go all grain, money and space allowing. I wouldn't mind getting together with someone local to brew sometime though.

http://mylhbs.com/ is the one I use. It's near the intersection of 50 and 7, more or less across the street from the DFH location there, on the other side of Sears.

I've heard of one in Clifton, VA but have never been. Other NoVA folks on here said it's run out of the basement of someone's house.

There's also a wine/beer shop in in the Belle View shopping center off of Fort Hunt in southern Alexandria (UnCorked, I think it's called) that is considering carrying homebrew supplies (at least, last time I talked to them they were)

I use my LHBS in 7 corners. Great selection of grains and yeast

for being such a small store, he really carries a pretty good selection and prices are close to online. I'm surprised at what he has pulled out of the back room or tucked away in some corner when I ask for something specific

for being such a small store, he really carries a pretty good selection and prices are close to online. I'm surprised at what he has pulled out of the back room or tucked away in some corner when I ask for something specific

My thoughts exactly. Whatever he doesn't currently have in stock he'll get for you.

Yeah, that's what I meant. myLHBS near 7 corners. Am planning a trip there for tomorrow to replace my melted siphon and broken thermometer so I can brew again. I have heard many complaints about the staff, but have never witnessed anything.

There's a beer harvest fest at homestead gardens I think next weekend. Maybe that's the gathering spot to do some organization...

jaynik said:
There's a beer harvest fest at homestead gardens I think next weekend. Maybe that's the gathering spot to do some organization...

Is that a fact?? That's right up the road from me. Next weekend you say? I think that sounds like a good idea for some organizing. Anyone else on board?

iceman1407

jaynik said:

This is going to be Saturday Sept 17 from 2:00-6:00. Looks really interesting and like jaynik could be a good place to get those of us in the area together.

Here's the link:
www.harvestbeermd.com

When you go to buy the tickets if you put in promo code "HG" you get $5 off ticket price. The are normally $35 and $10 for designated drivers. Includes food and some other goodies in the ticket cost.

iceman1407

I'll definitely try to get to this beerfest, sounds awesome. I'm gonna try to get my buddy to come out as well (another brewer in Crofton).

Are we gonna set up a time/place to meet up?

Burke, VA here. Pretty jealous that the MD brew scene seems to have their act together more that VA. Since when does THAT happen???

TheTower said:
I'll definitely try to get to this beerfest, sounds awesome. I'm gonna try to get my buddy to come out as well (another brewer in Crofton).

Are we gonna set up a time/place to meet up?

Where abouts are you from tower? Yea we all ought to get a time there to get together once we figure out who all is coming. Or we could set up just set area almost like a open forum. No pun intended.

Open to any thoughts, what u guys think??

iceman1407

Why must everything happen next Saturday?

3pm at ChurchKey in DC is Zwanze Day. Cantillon's beers are hard enough to find. So I'll be waiting in line at a bar I can never afford. Refusing to miss my shot on this one...

NOVA Brewfest is happening October 22-23 in Manassas VA. SWMBO and I will be pouring the Saturday AM shift (you get free entrance and some free tastings if you volunteer). A bit out of the way for MD folks though.

Yeah, that's what I meant. myLHBS near 7 corners. Am planning a trip there for tomorrow to replace my melted siphon and broken thermometer so I can brew again. I have heard many complaints about the staff, but have never witnessed anything.
Great store, but I've learned to do my research before going. It seems the staff (you know who) has to one up any intelligent questions and comments to show how much more he knows than you do. Other than that, a great selection and service.

gwren said:
Great store, but I've learned to do my research before going. It seems the staff (you know who) has to one up any intelligent questions and comments to show how much more he knows than you do. Other than that, a great selection and service.

I ran into this exact same problem when I went in. I can see why the reviews are so awful whenever you read them. It is easy to be turned off by that...

iceman1407

gwren said:
Condescending is not a good business plan. I now only go when I'm desperate for something.

I agree completely the guys a ******. Only in a pinch and when I'm at work and won't make it elsewhere in time, otherwise I go to md homebrew or annapolis homebrew.

iceman1407

I guess I've never had that problem. He's only offered advice when I've asked, he's cut me deals on stuff, and never had a problem with him. But to each their own.

Yeah, he has always been decent to me. Even with my only purchasing items at grand totals of under $20 per visit. Maybe he remembers when I offered to help him haul those cornies in the front door. I could have been trying to see if I could get comped one. Ha. Yeah right. But it is on my way hole from the metro and I so hate driving into MD. With that whole VA/MD worse driver argument and all.

Frederick here, but I work in Columbia. MDHB rocks! The staff is great and always has a great selection with friendly, helpful service. I haven't taken the time to get social with other local homebrewers, but I wouldn't mind sharing some ideas with others in the know, considering I'm still a bit of a noob with only 9 months under my belt. I've been doing AG on the stove top for most of my time brewing.

Olney here...MD homebrew stepped it up with their latest diggs. I came from CO where the homebrew scene is huge. I was spoiled out there. My lhbs was about 2 miles away AND they had a brewpub with 14 taps, a nitro, and a beer engine. They won small brewery of the year two or three years ago at gabf. Ahhhh memories.

I'm down for a MD brew day sometime soon. I'm all grain out of my garage.

Oh...and since everyone here is local, anyone want to buy a stir plate? I posted it in the classifieds section. I'd rather not go through the hassle of shipping it.

Agreed. I'm a transplant from CO and know the exact Brewpub/ HBS you are referring to. This area is kind of a desert for homebrew stores, so you get what you get. Lots of good but without the competition, you get some unfortunate realities.

Frederick has Flying Barrel and the guy that runs the place there has always been awesome. They have a bre club that meets there and they can do bre on premises, which is a good way to learn if you've never brewed before.

Berwyn Heights here. Doesn’t look like there are many other Pee Gee county boys on here.

I like MDHB but I make the trek out to Annapolis Home Brew because it's where I started out. I'll do MDHB if I need something right away or don't feel like driving all the way out to Severna Park. I was in Annapolis HB last week and it seems like their renovation is, for the most part, complete.

Doing partial mashes and extracts but only two pieces of equipment away from doing all grain in my back yard. Hopefully later this month!

Check out MALT: www.maltclub.org

They regularly have meetings in your area. They also have a good email list that has some good info. Wish I could get more involved, but I manage restaurants, and almost everything is on the weekends.

This is going to be Saturday Sept 17 from 2:00-6:00. Looks really interesting and like jaynik could be a good place to get those of us in the area together.

Here's the link:
www.harvestbeermd.com

When you go to buy the tickets if you put in promo code "HG" you get $5 off ticket price. The are normally $35 and $10 for designated drivers. Includes food and some other goodies in the ticket cost.

iceman1407

Just bought my ticket for this, I'll be there with another homebrewer from Crofton who isn't on these boards. When/how do people want to meet up? Anyone know the location well enough to suggest a landmark and time to meet?

8 pages in and I find this thread Geesh!

I brew at home here in Frederick County but learned at Flying Barrel. Truly great guys up there! They are moving though to a new place up on rt355 towards Walkersville soon. It should be a nice upgrade and give them more room.

Cheers :mug:

Back