Mayday! Mayday! Need Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a small mistake a year ago with a batch that I had put about $80 in ingredients in. Turns out the mistake wasn't a big deal. But I didn't realize it at the time. So, I let my high gravity, milk chocolate covered cherry stout sit in the secondary for a year.

I bottled last night but the beer isn't even trying to carbonate. I know it's early, but I'm reading that the beer likely won't carb because the yeast is all dead.

Also, how common is the green apple taste?

"green" apple is usually associated with acetaldehyde, which is unlikely if it's been sitting for a year.

Also, I don't think you can judge carbonation (assuming you used priming sugar) in one day--IME it takes at least a week. However, if it sat in secondary for a year, you should probably add fresh yeast as well.

A year is a long time. You might have an issue there. But since it's in the bottle already, get those bottles to 75F and leave them for a month. If you don't have any carbonation after that, your options are a bit limited. You can rehydrate a packet of dry yeast and use an eyedropper to put a drop in each bottle. I've dumped bottles back into a bucket, added yeast, then rebottled, but that's going to add a lot of staling O2 into your beer, so it's not the best way.

Green apple is acetaldehyde, and it is fairly common. It can be caused by poor yeast health, improper pitch rates, and infection. I've had it in a couple of beers due to infection. It's nasty. In my barleywine, it mostly went away after about a year or two.

Back