Maybe a stupid question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buschpilot

Reaction score
I was ready though some old posts and came across some said using bread yeast to conditioning the bottled, it made me think that my first batch I need to buy another a pack of yeast, because the one that I got with the kit expired, I had some bread yeast in the fridge and thought crossed my mind like for 5 seconds, but didn't use.. Has anyone made beer with bread yeast? I don't think I ever would ever brew with it. just curious

Thanx,

Last edited:
I can't recall anyone doing it twice.
i used bread yeast for almost a year! but realized the $~15 2lb pouches, i was dumping every other pour because of yeast in it. then i went to wine yeast, then affordable ale yeast...

bread yeast to condone bottled

not to get off the rails, but using bread yeast makes it acceptable to not keg your beer? ;) :mug:

my first batch I need to get a pack of yeast, because the one that I got with the kit expired,
How old is the kit? What kind of kit is it? Where did you get it?

What's the expiration date on the sachet of yeast, if it has one?
What yeast is it, does it have a brand, name, or type, such as US-05, Munich Classic, etc.?
I would hold off brewing until you got all your ingredients ready to go.

it was a NB caribou slobber extract Kit and was a little over a yr old, so the yeast I had bought for it had expirered... the beer turned out great, considering it was my first..

Has anyone made beer with bread yeast? I don't think I ever would ever brew with it. just curious
1653948725619.png

Last edited:
Just like out of date liquid yeast, out of date dry yeast still makes beer. Just a little slower and maybe... though I don't know for sure, a little less attenuation. If you had more sachets of out of date yeast, then just pitch more of them. IE. pitch two instead of one. Some do that with yeast well within the date stamped on them.

And I think that date is a use by date for freshness for reliably getting the results they tell you for that yeasts performance. So even the yeast makers aren't saying it's bad.

that also crossed my mind to pitch the expired yeast. if I remember right it was bout 6 months expired, i was kinda hesitant not know if it could still be used.. so I just chucked it in the trash and ordered ordered another one...I ended up putting in LalBrew BRY-97...I am now Brewing my second batch of Caribou Slobber with US-05, just to see how much the yeast change will change the flavor.....

it was a NB caribou slobber extract Kit and was a little over a yr old, so the yeast I had bought for it had expirered... the beer turned out great, considering it was my first..

interesting, i had to double check the post #1 wasn't a necro post on that....

now, so you didn't pitch all the yeast from a pack of dry yeast? and had it open for a year? i'm getting sucked into the rabbit hole....

that date is a use by date for freshness for reliably
^^^^^ this ^^^^^

There are a couple of videos from Fermentis and/or Lallemand in 2020/2021 that talk briefly about the "best by" date.

In 2022, "is my beer ruined if I pitch yeast that's six months past best by date"? Probably not (see above videos).

On the other hand, if you see this in 2022

1653956824508.png

(link) contact your favorite experimental brewing team ;).

Last edited:
I was ready though some old posts and came across some said using bread yeast to conditioning the bottled, it made me think that my first batch I need to buy another a pack of yeast, because the one that I got with the kit expired, I had some bread yeast in the fridge and thought crossed my mind like for 5 seconds, but didn't use.. Has anyone made beer with bread yeast? I don't think I ever would ever brew with it. just curious

Thanx,
If one needs to add more yeast at bottling, that would typically only be for very high ABV beers or something that has been aging, CBC1 would be a good choice. Most beers it is not needed, even when your beer looks clear from yeast dropping out of suspension there are yeast cells available for sugar priming.

Just like out of date liquid yeast, out of date dry yeast still makes beer. Just a little slower and maybe... though I don't know for sure, a little less attenuation. If you had more sachets of out of date yeast, then just pitch more of them. IE. pitch two instead of one. Some do that with yeast well within the date stamped on them

Agreed, and works for wine as well. I just started a batch of wine of a recipe that I have not used in a long time. I keep my yeast refrigerated, but when I dug through to find the yeast I wanted, it had an expiration date in 2011!
I put it in anyway. It was a little skow starting, but after a few days is now going wide open.
By the way, I did order some fresh yeast.

Thanx,
I've made liquid bread. I considered it quite drinkable.

I'd bet it would be barely noticable if used only for carbonation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/bread-yeast-for-an-ale.208467/#post-4710701

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220531-125455_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220531-125455_Chrome.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 0
I love that kit — brewed it a couple of times and will again. My favorite brown ale!

You can reconstitute yeast with some sanitary water and sugar. I have a quasi-starter operation. Most purists worry that your yeast will get confused if you give them sugar water then make them work on wort...

I don't worry about that, but it's nice to see the pitch take off in a timely manner. Don't under-pitch.

You can reconstitute yeast with some sanitary water and sugar. I have a quasi-starter operation. Most purists worry that your yeast will get confused if you give them sugar water then make them work on wort...

I don't worry about that, but it's nice to see the pitch take off in a timely manner. Don't under-pitch.
I am an amateur, so this is a serious question. What’s the difference in putting the yeast in sugar water, and just letting it start off in the wort, (or juice for wine)? I have never made a starter, but always ended up with the intended result. How am I cheating myself?

I am an amateur, so this is a serious question. What’s the difference in putting the yeast in sugar water, and just letting it start off in the wort, (or juice for wine)? I have never made a starter, but always ended up with the intended result. How am I cheating myself?

Ideally, the amount of yeast pitched should be based on the volume of wort, its gravity, whether it is an ale or a lager, and on the brewer's preferences for a particular style/recipe.

If the number of cells desired is greater than the number in a yeast pack, you can (should) make a starter.

Here are some of the possible effects of underpitching (i.e. not pitching enough yeast):
- high esters
- high fusel alcohols
- under-attenuation
- high diacetyl
- high sulfur compounds (particularly in lagers)
- high acetaldehyde

Putting the yeast in "sugar water" (i.e. simple sugars only) doesn't really do anything good for them, or rather, for the beer you'll subsequently make. They will eat the sugar, but they won't be making the transporters and enzymes needed to move and use more complex sugars. They also won't be getting the other nutrients they need. It's better to give them a starter wort that has all of the carbs the beer wort will have, and the nutrients to facilitate healthy growth.

Lots of people have tried making beer with bread yeast. I can't recall anyone doing it twice.
I know there’s a specific mead recipe “Joe’s Ancient Orange Mead” that says to use bread yeast. Just not grandma’s old expired bread yeast that she bought years before she passed away. I made the recipe but couldn’t bring myself to use the bread yeast. I used wine yeast instead.

I love that kit — brewed it a couple of times and will again. My favorite brown ale!
This is my 5th batch, I and some family and friends really loved the first batch of caribou Slobber, I know I made a few mistakes on the first one.. not I followed the directions to a tee, but changed the yeast, to see what difference in the flavor is on my second time around..

Latest posts

Back