maximum height/weight for a tap handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn-Brewtality

Four Beasts Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
what is the biggest you would have? or what is the biggest you have seen? i have an idea for 2 tap handles, but don't want to spend the money and time making them, put them on, and run into issues?

Put a counter balance on the back of them to keep it from toppeling forward! If it is too top heavy! Or if there is a way to tighten up the resistance on the lever, you could do that. I am assuming this is your concern.

Put a counter balance on the back of them to keep it from toppeling forward! If it is too top heavy! Or if there is a way to tighten up the resistance on the lever, you could do that. I am assuming this is your concern.

that is one of my concerns... the other is just at what height the chances of an accidental discharge becomes too high

I'm over the big and heavy tap handles I had made, The slightest bump and I'd have beer spraying around. I'm switching to shift knobs.

I have a Triumph 500 connecting rod, a couple of smaller cast bronze people, a throttle and brake lever on a section of handlebar, etc. Not as much of a problem if they're not on a freezer lid. When I switched to perlicks, the problem was worse because they are so much smoother than the standard bar taps.
see them here with a mix of faucets:
IMG_3520.jpg

I just got a long (12"), although light tap handle on my keezer tower. Forgot it was on and it smacked the wall when I opened the top. I hate cleaning up beer and wasting it so I going to take a saw to it and cut it down to a more manageable size.

I was thinking about making a cinder block stout complete with tap handle, I might have to rethink that after ready this. ;)

What if you mounted the throwing axe upside down (ie the head would be closest to the tap) Then if need be you could saw down the handle. That should solve most of the weight issue since its the weight at the end of the handle that would kill you

I want to see the throttle handle tap that works. Throttle on for beer dispensing!

I personally can't stand an overly long tap handle. Easy to get a foamy pour because you can't snap the tap open. I know they look cool but function outweighs the cool factor imo. That's why I had Fisherwoodcraft make me a set of 6" handles. They work perfect.

Might want to consider dulling the cutting edges of those axes.

That is, lest this is your alternative to tap locks.

i have leather edge covers. no danger.

What if you mounted the throwing axe upside down (ie the head would be closest to the tap) Then if need be you could saw down the handle. That should solve most of the weight issue since its the weight at the end of the handle that would kill you

could work. but i don't want to cut them up. i want to be able to take them off and have them still be completely usable if i wanted.

You could save weight by using your axes to create a mould and cast replicas in a lighter material, say bondo... I'd just get some spray silicone, cover the axes with it, then cover them in copious amounts of liquid latex, or plaster, or some such medium. Fill your negative moulds with bondo, expanding foam, plaster, whatever; paint 'em up and there you go...

I would of used a Norton rod instead but it's still in use at the 473K mile mark.
The old girl talks to me almost as much as the Matchess Typhoon 600 thumper and the R90s.
Look into old outboard motors of the 20's to 40's era as they have pistons
that are 1 9/16" diameter with rod centers of 2 3/4" all made of aluminum.
So small I had to collect a couple besides the cranks. Crank alone for a twin
outboard back then weighs less than that Trumpet rod.

I had a Norton once but it must have been possessed, it tried to kill me several times, and my friends that rode it, too. One I bought a Triumph the Norton went up for sale. Not that I wouldn't mind another one, this one was just evil. Ever seen the movie "I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle" cheesy film about a possessed Norton. link [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvqz-nv7Zw]YouTube - I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle - Cinema Trailer[/ame]
Back on topic, this axe handle sounds very cool, we need to see pictures.

Back