Mawwiage. Mawwiage is wot bwings us togevah tooday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolsAtDawn

Reaction score
princess-bride-clergyman.jpeg

So this Saturday I'll be performing the marriage ceremony for a young couple. I'm certainly no holy man (unless you count the small moth hole in the suit I'll be wearing), but I'm pretty excited to do this for them.

This pretty much started for me as a joke about 8 or 9 months ago. I had just gotten ordained through the Universal Life Church (just like my dear ol' dad!), and I was joking around, offering to marry any couple at the bar I was at. Apparently the betrothed couple heard me and actually thought it would be a good idea. I'm sure lots of beer was involved in that decision.

But oddly enough, they still want me to do it. I'm not charging them for this. I just wanted to say that I've conducted a marriage ceremony. The groom is the brother of a friend of mine, and his fiance seems like a cool girl. Plus, the girlfriend and I will get to party for free, so that's fun.

They're not religious, so hence the reason that I'm doing this for them instead of a qualified clergyman/woman (with or without a speech impediment). They've prepared a very sweet, simple, and somewhat spiritual ceremony. There's a water combining part and some exchanging of quick vows. I don't anticipate that it'll take longer than 20 minutes, but probably only 15.

I've had a wide array of reactions when I've told people that I'm going to be conducting a marriage ceremony. Some people thought it was funny. Others seemed slightly offended that I am performing the ceremony instead of a real minister.

Either way, I'm looking forward to doing this. It won't be the first ceremony I've performed (it is the first marriage ceremony), so I'm comfortable speaking to a crowd.

I'm going to have a really, really hard time not beginning the ceremony like the clergyman in The Princess Bride.

I also got ordained from the Life Church. I'm waiting till someone asks me before getting my state license. One buddy told me he'll use me for sure if he ever gets married due to being non religious. We'll see what his then to be wife says :)

We considered using a (non religious) ordained friend when we got married, but went another (non religious) route.

Judges chambers!

Seriously, best of luck and hope it goes well!

Do you actually have a Water Sharing Ritual put together? I just did one based an ancient hawaiian one. If you want it, pm me and I'll cut and paste it for you. It's really easy. It went over well with the couple.

The first one is always a little nerve wracking. The problem is that people expect you to know what you're doing. And if there's no wedding planner, that includes who walks in first, who sits first, etc.

A buddy of mine became ordained a year or so ago. He performed his first wedding a couple of months ago for some friends. The friends are full blow nerds and wanted him to perform the wedding while wearing a Darth Vader costume. There was going to be light sabers to walk beneath, I think the wedding party was going to be dressed as Stormtroopers,etc... Billiant if you ask me. But my friend refused to do it, so they let him dress normal. Not sure what the others ended up wearing.

I also got ordained from the Life Church. I'm waiting till someone asks me before getting my state license. One buddy told me he'll use me for sure if he ever gets married due to being non religious. We'll see what his then to be wife says :)

I called my county office to ask how you get a license, and they said they don't require one. I asked again to be sure, and she said that I only have to sign the paper and put the organization that gave me the ordainment and my title on it. How easy is that? In the "Holy City" of all places.

We considered using a (non religious) ordained friend when we got married, but went another (non religious) route.

Judges chambers!

Seriously, best of luck and hope it goes well!

Much appreciated!

Do you actually have a Water Sharing Ritual put together? I just did one based an ancient hawaiian one. If you want it, pm me and I'll cut and paste it for you. It's really easy. It went over well with the couple.

The first one is always a little nerve wracking. The problem is that people expect you to know what you're doing. And if there's no wedding planner, that includes who walks in first, who sits first, etc.

That's cool! They put the whole ceremony together themselves, actually. Fortunately they are a very relaxed couple, so I don't think they really care about too much about having everything "perfect." The bride even told me that she doesn't care if I mess up and miss a few words here or there, so long as the meaning is conveyed. So definitely not your typical wedding couple. I have a rehearsal dinner tomorrow night with them at a bar for instance.

A buddy of mine became ordained a year or so ago. He performed his first wedding a couple of months ago for some friends. The friends are full blow nerds and wanted him to perform the wedding while wearing a Darth Vader costume. There was going to be light sabers to walk beneath, I think the wedding party was going to be dressed as Stormtroopers,etc... Billiant if you ask me. But my friend refused to do it, so they let him dress normal. Not sure what the others ended up wearing.

That's awesome! I love people who have a sense of humor and passion for something as that couple obviously does.

I did a medieval themed one a couple years ago. It was fun.

Michael3.JPG

Michael2.JPG

Michael1.JPG

Revvy, I love it! That had to be a good day.

I just finished putting the ceremony on some index cards (I doubt I'd be able to memorize the whole thing, and they didn't care if I had some aide).

Revvy, I love it! That had to be a good day.

I just finished putting the ceremony on some index cards (I doubt I'd be able to memorize the whole thing, and they didn't care if I had some aide).

It's easier to have some form of a book (you'll be less likely to drop it then your cards.) Typically it's a half sized 3 ring binder (I'm holding it in the pictures) With it in a landscape for. What I do is print it out, then cut it apart and tape the pages together like in a book form, so when I'm looking down I see page 1 and 2, then fliping page 2 exposes pages 3 and 4.

If you want, pm me your email address, and I can send it to you, the you can just delete and type in your stuff.

Seeing as i just got engaged a couple months ago I find this pretty cool, and wanted to do something similar...unfortunately both our parents are having a fit at the mere idea of a non church wedding. It doesn't mean enough to us to ruffle feathers on this part, so we have obliged.

I don't see why its so serious for some people...but then again, they don't see why it is NOT a serious part for us...

Most of my wedding business is NOT in churches. I think they're nicer and more unique than in a church or chapel.

I did Terrapinchef's from here's wedding in a neat outdoor "chapel" at an artists colony. Right outside the banquet hall.

269024_2042006102683_1620240672_1928082_6627610_n.jpg

I did a small one at a sea wall overlooking the St Clair River. On the first day of spring last year.

26922_379960174066_3524236_n.jpg

I've done one in front of a fountain outside of a hotel in kansas city. I've done one inside a bar.

I did Terrapinchef's brother's wedding last weekend in this huge funky photographer's studio loft in a place called the Russell Industrial Center.

2530645450_edd4a61321.jpg

That was one of the coolest places, wedding and reception all in one huge loft.

It's easier to have some form of a book (you'll be less likely to drop it then your cards.) Typically it's a half sized 3 ring binder (I'm holding it in the pictures) With it in a landscape for. What I do is print it out, then cut it apart and tape the pages together like in a book form, so when I'm looking down I see page 1 and 2, then fliping page 2 exposes pages 3 and 4.

If you want, pm me your email address, and I can send it to you, the you can just delete and type in your stuff.

Thank you for the thought, man. I think I'll be okay though. Their ceremony fits on four large index cards, so it's not too unwieldy.

Pistols, I just watched the latest episode of Big Bang Theory, the wedding episode.

I thought of you when Sheldon pulled out an index card...

So, can you throw in a line or two of Klingon?

Ha ha. That was a great episode. Something like this, perhaps?

"ta' SoH tlhap vam loD Daq taH lIj loDnal?"

The ceremony went really well. The weather outside was fantastic and the reception was fun!

Back