Maturing beer in a cool place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maegnar

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brewing the Brewferm kit's beer and I've a question about a period after the beer's been bottled. Instruction says it's to be held in a warm place of ~24C for a week and then store in a cooler place of ~10C for another 6-8 weeks. Now how much exactly is the 10C necessary? In my cellar it's ~3C so I suppose it's too cold for maturing?
Or can I just store it my flat (~22C) and let it mature here?

Thanks!

The colder it can be for longer will make it much better. The only way to truly know how it works for you is to try one at a time and see how the taste changes at different temps.

The colder it can be for longer will make it much better. The only way to truly know how it works for you is to try one at a time and see how the taste changes at different temps.

are you saying that colder temps make for a better taste? if so - should I risk it and put the beer into 3C cellar? It's even colder there than in my fridge, which is 5C.

Theoretically I could wrap it in a plaid and that should be sufficient to keep it warmer in the cellar....

Maybe the cellar is a tad too cool but keeping the beer cool after it is carbonated will help the beer mature. Also it will keep it from potentially going bad if kept at room temperature for long periods of time.

It won't hurt the beer to be at 3C. You may not want serve it at that temperature depending on your preferences.

Oddly enough, I've been doing this and noticed something strange, but good. I've been storing my bottles in a closet where the temp stays in the 50s - maybe 13C. When I'd store them at 70/21C or above, they wouldn't clear for a while - like five weeks or more.

I sneaked some samples I the cool-conditioned beers after about two or three weeks. All are carbed and all are perfectly crystal clear. Bottom line, cool conditioning --> clearer beer, at least in my experience.

I usually just let mine mature in a cool dark place that isn't susceptible to much draft that may cause a change in temp. I keep them on the top shelf of my pantry and make sure the door stays closed. So far it has done well for my stouts and ales that age and I have not had any problems.

My ales are nearly clear going into the bottles. Just a slight haze. My Burton ale cleared perfectly in 3 days flat. Her summer ale in about a week. Of course hers had a pound of wheat malt in it. Just don't have too much of a problem getting clear beers. Just time & patience,mainly. But I think the quick wort chill & straining into the FV helps with this as well.

Back