Massive Underpitch: Is This Crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
I've heard that Belgian yeast gives off more flavor (phenols? esters?) when underpitching as those compounds arise during the growth phase.

Anyone with experience using a single one month old smack pack of WLP 530 for 11 gallons of 1.065 - 1.070 wert mashed at 151F? Or something similar?

Good luck..

That is an underpitch for 5 gallons. For 11 it is a serious underpitch.

From my experience with that yeast. I would not do it. But in the name of science go ahead and give us a report.

I think you are taking it next level under pitch but I think you will see great flavors come from it IF it is able to take over the batch.

Keep us posted. I have a feeling it will take you 3+ days to see signs of fermentation.

Cheers
Jay

I've heard that Belgian yeast gives off more flavor (phenols? esters?) when underpitching as those compounds arise during the growth phase.

Anyone with experience using a single one month old smack pack of WLP 530 for 11 gallons of 1.065 - 1.070 wert mashed at 151F? Or something similar?

How many threads are you going to start on this topic? I've seen at least 3. The same people see them.

Good luck..

That is an underpitch for 5 gallons. For 11 it is a serious underpitch.

From my experience with that yeast. I would not do it. But in the name of science go ahead and give us a report.

Told him this in his other post on this same exact topic.

Back