Mashing/ Sparging Question for those with a HERMS system - calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have had my Spike System for a few weeks now and have 4 brews under my belt. I have no experience with a 3 vessel before this one, as I did BIAB.

I am struggling with the proper way to calc. strike water volume. The part that is confusing me is when I fill the Mash Tun - I turn off the pumps... so now I have water (call it a gallon) in the herms and the hoses.. . I do not know if I use that volume of water to calc the amount of strike water?

*** if my software tells me to transfer 5 gallons - is this 5 gallons while valves are closed? fill to the 5 gallon mark? once i open valves and turn on pumps this often drops to ~4 gallons... do i add the grain to this 4 gallon mark - since some of the 5 gallons is being recirculated? or do i add more water while the pumps are going etc to get the water level back to 5 before adding the grains?

-

Figure out the volume of your hoses and add it to the deadspace number in your software.

Latest posts

Back