Mashin' yer nuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
No, not THOSE nuts. The kind that grow outta the ground.

Lazy Magnolia makes a nut brown called Southern Pecan, really tasty. The pecan flavor is really subtle, though. Apparently they use the pecans as a fermentable, not in the secondary, so they don't overpower the brew.

How do you accomplish that? Do you crush 'em up and mash 'em with the grain? Or do you just toss 'em in the brewpot and hope the starches release?

I have some idears for what I think will be really tasty brews, but i need to figure out the nut thing first.

I read somewhere that if you want to use nuts in your beer, you should chop them or use thinly-sliced and then toast them (NOT burnt) to remove some of the oil. As I recall, the problem was that actual nuts are so oily that it will kill your carbonation, or something along those lines.

As for adding during the boil/late in the boil/into primary/into secondary.... if you add them anytime after the boil, I'd definitely soak them in sanitizing solution. The only "experience" I have with flavored beers was a blueberry. I added the extract at bottling and my buddy did the same kit but added at primary. You could hardly taste the blueberry in his batch and mine was almost overpowering. Not sure if that is helpful or not.

Best of luck though, If it works, I'm also very into the idea of trying some nutty beers, so share the knowledge!

Abita made a pecan beer last fall that I loved, would love to replicate something like that. I attempted a hazelnut mead a while back & the oils were definitely a pain!

I haven't brewed with them before but I do know that the oils (fats) in nuts will negatively effect head retention. Many brewers use nut extracts in order get around this issue. The following is an exerpt from the wiki:

"Nut Extracts

Nuts are one of the most difficult ingredients to brew with, as they contain a large amount of fat that can affect a beer's stability and head retention; their flavors can also be more difficult to get into the finished beer without crushing or other means. For this reason, most nut-flavored beers are made with flavor extracts rather than whole nutmeats." https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Flavor_extracts&printable=yes

You can also add some lecithin to emulsify the fats. I've successfully done this for a beer that had several tablespoons of oil in the mash and had no head retention issues.

I'd crush the pecans as finely as possible and add them to the mash.

You can also add some lecithin to emulsify the fats. I've successfully done this for a beer that had several tablespoons of oil in the mash and had no head retention issues.

I'd crush the pecans as finely as possible and add them to the mash.

Good info! I knew there had to be a way to get around the oil issue but I've never researched it.

Good info! I knew there had to be a way to get around the oil issue but I've never researched it.

I've done that with both chocolate and tortilla chips in a couple of my beers. I find that the grain in the mash tun does a lot to absorb any fats and or oils from things like that. It's kinda like bread and gravy, it sopps it up. Plus it's a lot of grain for any fatty particles to filter through on the way to the kettle.

this sounds really good actually. may try it some day. let me know how it goes please

Not sure if it is still there, but there was an interview with the owner on their website that said they used whole nuts in the mash, but it took a while to figure out the process to use them. Not sure what the secret process is (I'm thinking slow roasting to remove some of the oil).

Haven't you guys been watching the news in the Gulf? The secret to keeping oil out of your beer is to buy one of those gadgets from Kevin Kostner's brother in law... or was it a ton of hay? or use hair donated from a local barber shop. ;)

Back