Mashed way high, unfermetables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealf

Reaction score
Good morning HBT,

I brewed a batch of JZ’s Oatmeal Stout which came in at around 1.058. I believe that I mashed way too high because I used a new thermometer; I did calibrate with ice water… but didn’t check against boiling water until a week or so later and it read ~206º. My best guess is that the mash was at around 160 or so...

The batch was pitched with Safale S-04 and fermented at around 65. So now, 2.5 weeks later the gravity is only down to 1.024. I have warmed the fermenter, swirled and stirred, and repitched with Safale S-05 (last week). No gravity change.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or should I just go ahead and bottle the batch and put them all in garbage bags in case they all explode? Thanks for any suggestions!

-Neal

That may be all you are going to get, S-04 isnt a very high attenuating strain anyway, and if mashed at 160F you will have some unfermentables in there. If you have warmed it, swirled it, re-pitched with US-05 and the gravity is not budging, IMHO it is done.

Does it taste cloyingly sweet though? If it's not what you really wanted, now might be a good time to brew another batch, mash low, and blend.

Not really cloyingly sweet that I remember, I'll double check with a hydro sample.

Thanks for the great idea... I might just brew another batch and blend! :ban:

Neal

What did you decide to do? I have about the same situation here. Mine's not cloyingly sweet, it actually tastes pretty good. I think I'm going to bottle mine sometime next week, stick it in a Rubermaid tub, and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back