mash tuns v/s mash lauter tuns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfection

Reaction score
Since all mash tuns also have the facility to run off the wort, what is the essential difference between the two in a brewery?

Is it the necessary presence of rakes to cut the grain bed?

Would MLTs have both mix arms and rakes?

If the lauter is done in a dedicated lauter tun would the mash tun be constructed any differently like not having the perforated false bottom to drain as this is done by the lauter tun?

It depends a huge amount on the size of the batch and also the grist you'll be mashing...and the process (batch sparge, fly sparge, direct heated, infusion heated, decoction, etc...) And thickness of the mash.
Are you looking to do 5 gallon batches?

In large commercial setups the mash tun and lauter tun are often separated. In this case, rather than a false bottom and rakes designed to cut the grain bed (and eventually a plow to push it out), a mash tun will often have a steeper cone bottom into a pump and an agitator to stir rather than cut the mash. In these setups the mash tun is often steam jacketed while the lauter often isn't.

This is big for commercial operations because it allows for one batch to runoff/sparge into the kettle while simultaneously mashing in another batch, and then as soon as the grain is out, the mash gets pumped in, rest to settle, vorlauf, and immediately start runoff again. It saves time when operations are turning multiple batches every day.

I've never seen a homebrewer with this setup nor could I see a need for it. Offers no benefits to the beer, just the time savings. And even then, it only saves you time if you're taking multiple turns to fill your fermenter.

I've never seen a homebrewer with this setup nor could I see a need for it.

I did not have that type of setup, but I used to use a separate mash tun and later tun. My setup was heavily influenced by Dave Miller's brewing books. He thought that not being able to add heat to a cooler style mash tun was a fatal flaw. So I mashed in my kettle where I could apply heat for a step mash and/or mash out. I then manually transferred the grain/wort into an insulated bucket with a false bottle where I would sparge/lauter. It was a pain in the ass but I used that setup for many years before eventually moving to BIAB a few years ago (though I mostly gave up on step mashes a long time ago).

Back