Mash Tun Upgrade -- SSbrewtech vs. Stout Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
posted this over in the the mash tun sub but no one had an opinion so I thought maybe it will here..

looking for upgrade out of the classic square plastic Mash Tun. I'm in the middle of converting to an all electric HERMS setup and am looking for any guidance or opinions anyone has between the 20 gallon bottom port mash tun from Stout, MT20TW-RF-BO or the 20 gallon InfuSsion from SSbrewtech.

The price point is pretty much the same once I factor in shipping costs. I feel the insulation on the InfuSsion would be a waste because of the re-circulation from the HERMS and fear it will eventually rot out from the re-circulation fitting. I do like how the temp sensor is removable since it would be a waste and would simply be in the way stirring, I've never used a Manometer but feel it would be a great way to gauge things though. The Stout tank doesn't have any bells and whistles but it does have all welded tri fittings and would seem to be easier to clean but unsure how solid the base is and if tipping it to dump the spent mash would take its toll.

Back