Mash Tun Upgrade -- SSbrewtech vs. Stout Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
looking for upgrade out of the classic square plastic Mash Tun. I'm in the middle of converting to an all electric HERMS setup and am looking for any guidance or opinions anyone has between the 20 gallon bottom port mash tun from Stout, MT20TW-RF-BO or the 20 gallon InfuSsion from SSbrewtech.
https://conical-fermenter.com/20-Ga...-Recirculating-Fitting-and-Bottom-Outlet.html
The price point is pretty much the same once I factor in shipping costs. I feel the insulation on the InfuSsion would be a waste because of the re-circulation from the HERMS and fear it will eventually rot out from the re-circulation fitting. I do like how the temp sensor is removable since it would be a waste and would simply be in the way stirring, I've never used a Manometer but feel it would be a great way to gauge things though. The Stout tank doesn't have any bells and whistles but it does have all welded tri fittings and would seem to be easier to clean but unsure how solid the base is and if tipping it to dump the spent mash would take its toll.

For 3 vessel eherms there is no need for the ss infusion

Personally I have used a few different ones and the blichmann has been the best in my opinion.

Im assuming you say it isn't needed because of the insulation? While I agree with that, I'm looking for something with a center bottom drain.

Im assuming you say it isn't needed because of the insulation? While I agree with that, I'm looking for something with a center bottom drain.

Yes from the insulation standpoint. Out of curiosity why are you interested in a center bottom drain?

I prefer them because they will naturally drain and pull, there is zero loss... no dead space. I don't have to deal with dip tubes or anything like that and cleaning appears to be much easier.

I use a Gen 1 Blichmann as my BK and I HATE the diptube with hop blocker assembly. You have to line it all up perfectly and I can never get it 100% clean without taking the whole assembly apart to get into all the nooks and crannies.

I prefer them because they will naturally drain and pull, there is zero loss... no dead space. I don't have to deal with dip tubes or anything like that and cleaning appears to be much easier.

I use a Gen 1 Blichmann as my BK and I HATE the diptube with hop blocker assembly. You have to line it all up perfectly and I can never get it 100% clean without taking the whole assembly apart to get into all the nooks and crannies.

I can see that. I hated The blichmann hopblocker when I used it...

I have noticed a couple of things with the ss. The gasket on the false bottom is a bit of a pain and you really need to keep a backup on hand otherwise if it breaks the false bottom doesn’t work well.

Also while there is no technical dead space if you run it till it’s empty I always got a pretty decent plug of grain into the kettle. So I would spend all that time recirculating for clear wort only to shoot a plug of grain into the kettle.

I can see that. I hated The blichmann hopblocker when I used it...

I have noticed a couple of things with the ss. The gasket on the false bottom is a bit of a pain and you really need to keep a backup on hand otherwise if it breaks the false bottom doesn’t work well.

Also while there is no technical dead space if you run it till it’s empty I always got a pretty decent plug of grain into the kettle. So I would spend all that time recirculating for clear wort only to shoot a plug of grain into the kettle.

I really liked the original hop block to the new one.. I thinking of tossing it and getting on of the hop stopper nets they have over at electricbrewery.com

Are you currently using the SS? I meant dead space as in whats left in the bottom of the tun from what the pickup tube can't pick up. I like the idea of being able to leave the valves open at the end of the brew day and letting the unit completely drain vs. having to go back and wipe the little pool of water left after cleaning and drying.

Latest posts

Back