Mash Tun Amputates Thumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
Yes, it is partially true. My medical chart says "partially amputated thumb" and yes, the deed was done by my mash tun. I have a 10-gal mash tun with a circle cut out of the bottom. I place a perforated false bottom over that and the whole thing sits inside a 15gal BK. I works a little like a Speidel Braumeister. I've been saying for the last year that the edges were sharp and needed to be ground smooth.

I had just finished brewing a batch of Pliny The Elder and was cleaning. My new brewery is setup so I don't have to lift anything heavier than the grain I"m about mash. I can brew for hours now and my poor old back is fresh as a daisy. Thursday evening was no different. I had taken a few days off and one of the things on the project list was brew a new batch of Pliny. Mission accomplished. So, I had my full mash tun lifted and dangling from the hoist. I perched it on the edge of the large rolling trash bin as I've done many times before. All I had to do was tilt it and all the grain would come right out. Well on Thursday, that was not quite the way it went. The MT slipped and was dangling over the trash bin instead of resting on the side. I maneuvered it back into position on the edge and for some stupid reason, I reached in and was holding it by the bottom cut out when it slipped again. In a split second, I knew something was wrong. Blood went everywhere. The pain then hit. Then it went to a cold burning sensation. I grabbed my roll of paper towels and put pressure on it. I somehow made it inside and filled a zip lock bag with ice. I knew it was bad and stitches were going to be required. Then, because I was concerned about the stench that was likely emanating from my body, I took a quick shower. By this time, it was almost numb.

After getting dressed again, I drove to a nearby urgent care facility. I must have looked pretty white or blue or green when I entered. Because the receptionist simply said is your thumb gone. I said I think it's still there. I did not even have to sign in. She immediately called back to the doctor and said we have have an emergency and the patient is going to faint. I don't know how I remember that, but for some reason, I do. The doctor said who placed this pressure bandage on this? I said me and she said "Great job!" She then unwrapped it partially and immediately re-wrapped it. She said you have to go to the ER now. I was home alone and my wife was in a cross country runners booster meeting at my 17-yr old daughter's high school. Fortunately, my 21-yr old daughter who was just back from Europe, got me to the ER.

That mash tun cut through my left thumbnail, and then made a circular cut around the thumb just taking a small chunk of the bone. So, that's how I wound up with a partially amputated thumb. I have lots of stitches, a splint for the bone and an appointment with a hand surgeon. I hope that damn Pliny turns out nicely. I looked in the fermentation cabinet and it is bubbling away today.

Now I have to move my thumb saving daughter into a new apartment for her senior year a UGA.

Here is the perpetrator:

DSC_0062.jpg

Snarfle @ ^. Call it, "blood, sweat and beers."

Hitch hiking just became a little more of a challenge, eh?

Mick Jagger just called. He wants to write a song called, "Under my nub."

On the other hand, you can stop counting when you reach the number nine now.

If any blood got in the beer, you could wind up almost as cool as Kiss. Almost.

Alright, i'm done. My next show is at 11. Enjoy the fish.

Yeah, man. We want carnage :rockin: And we hope you're okay. I mean, of course.

And I've noticed this before. HBTers love colored walls. Just about every pic here with a wall is painted something other than white. Nice.

Actually hitch hiking is easier now since my thumb is in a splint for a while and extended :) As far as blood in the beer, thankfully that did not happen. It was already in the fermenter and I did this during the cleanup. I finally managed to finish cleaning the kettles yesterday and I circulated 145F water through my hoses, RIMS tube and plate chiller for a couple of hours. The beer I brewed was Pliny The Elder and I've been calling it Pliny The Amputator lately, but you guys have made some good suggestions.

At the moment, I don't have any photos of the actual gore. I would have probably ruined my camera with blood. The X Rays may show something and maybe they'll let me have those since they use a digital x ray machine now.

I did manage to get out last night to a GA Craft Brewers Guild event at Terrapin Brewery in Athens, GA. That was nice and very informative. They are coming off a 4000 BBL month which was a record production for them.

Damn dude rub some salt in my wounds ;) Mine was a real kettle, I just had a guy cut the bottom out with a plasma cutter so I could make my "diy" semi-Braumeister. My brew stand is not diy, I bought it pre-made since I don't weld.

Pic's or it didn't happen!!! All kidding aside, I've had co-workers that loped off a digit. When it first happens you have to get the tendons re-attached fast or they will shrink back up in your arm, same with the nerves. So find a doctor that you like (may take more than one) and get it fixed; their is no reason to live with damage that could have been easy fixed.

Damn dude rub some salt in my wounds ;) Mine was a real kettle, I just had a guy cut the bottom out with a plasma cutter so I could make my "diy" semi-Braumeister. My brew stand is not diy, I bought it pre-made since I don't weld.

Oh I didn't mean it like that hope there's no hard feelings. :mug:

Wow. The ultimate sacrifice.
Hope the beer turns out great.

Have you thought about how your going to knock the sharp edge of that kettle?

Wow. The ultimate sacrifice.
Hope the beer turns out great.

Have you thought about how your going to knock the sharp edge of that kettle?

I have a disc grinder. I think that will work, but I may lose control of that now that I only have one good hand for a while :)

As the realization that I had nearly cut my thumb completely off started to dawn within my consciousness, I knew that time was of the very essence if I wanted a full, if painful recovery. I grabbed the nearest thing I could find for applying pressure while simultaneously absorbing the copious amounts of blood that seemed to be flowing freely form my appendage. My mind was already plotting routes to the nearest emergency room as I made my way to the freezer to gather the ice I knew would be necessary to keep my thumb alive.

With pressure on my ice-packed thumb, I had my route planned and was ready to head directly to the ER. But first, I decided to get some donuts!

Since only have one hand and it is difficult to even do something as simple as count money, I think I may take this thing to the welder who cut it out for me. I think he should be able to smooth it. Hopefully, he'll give me a break since it nearly cut my thumb off. BTW, I'm 52, so I'm kinda old compared to most around here.

This whole system I built was all about being compact with no lifting required except by hoist. These days I'm doing less and less diy and just buying the pre-made stuff. I have avoided total automation because I like the process. But I do like flashing lights (not ambulance lights) and bells and whistles. So maybe some additional automation is in order. I already have a PID controlled RIMS tube.

Whatever the hand surgeon says for Physical therapy, do it! I severed my pinky two years ago through both tendons and a bit of bone. I did the physical therapy religeously (every hour) and i had the best recovery they had ever seen, full motion and sensation. The PT even called in the doctor to look at it since she hadn't ever seen one as good.

I feel for you with one hand though, I lost use of my right hand for nearly 3 months. Boy was I lonely;)

Whatever the hand surgeon says for Physical therapy, do it! I severed my pinky two years ago through both tendons and a bit of bone. I did the physical therapy religeously (every hour) and i had the best recovery they had ever seen, full motion and sensation. The PT even called in the doctor to look at it since she hadn't ever seen one as good.

I feel for you with one hand though, I lost use of my right hand for nearly 3 months. Boy was I lonely;)

Have you never heard of power and finesse? I'm a righty, so it's all power for a while :)

Okay, I have a post stitch removal photo here. I took this while the doctor was not looking. It is still opening up a bit. You can also see where my nail was cut through. The blood actually bled out through that cut and it is just a dark purple around the cut and it did not turn completely black. The rest of the nail is just white with no pink coloring. The surgeon said to leave it and if it becomes too gnarly, it could be removed. The cut in the bone is basically healed and I just have to keep a bandage over the whole thing now until it is fully healed. It is amazing what a month will do. The thumb is really small looking now. I guess from being compressed all the time inside all the wrappings.

Since I'm still walking around with a large white bandage around my thumb, people always have to ask what happened. It is fun to lead off the story with "beer was involved" and then I proceed to tell the rest :)

20130812_112350.jpg

20130830_122738.jpg

I just pulled myself a sample of the beer I brewed before I whacked my thumb and it is simply amazing. I'm going to make this a regular beer in my keezer.

Back