Mash too hot 190F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marca31

Reaction score
Crap. Working with a new thermometer tonight. It is my third ag batch. Making a left hand milk stout clone. My mash was @156. Went inside to play Xbox. Came Out to check on it 40 minutes later....mash was at 190. Not sure what happened. My pre boil OG was 1.032. I was shooting for an FG of closer to 1.07. Panicked. Drained the mash tun and added all the malt based fermentables I could find. 2lbs lme, 4oz dme, 1lb brewers crystals. But mashing that hot......is it forever ruined? Should I abort or forge ahead. I was thinking of just making it a 4gal batch. Thoughts?

Cautionary tale: always calibrate new equipment. Found the old digital thermometer. The new one was hot by almost 60 degrees! I totally screwed myself. RDWHAHB.

I guess on the upside I won't be getting those harsh tannin flavors. Wonder if I have maltodextrine.......

For the sake of anyone who finds this thread in a search, I always feel the temperatures of my mash rests/strike water by hand alongside the thermometer. Once your hands learn the temps, you can at least calibrate to within an acceptable margin. I've double checked step mashes this way when I'm not sure if the decoction raised the temperature enough and I don't trust my thermometer reading.

Latest posts

Back