Sour Mash Oud Bruin Blackberry Whiskey opinions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions on my upcoming brew, its a new age spin on a traditional beer style.

Base Style:
OUD BRUIN

Grain Bill:
8lbs- Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2lbs- Caramel Crystal Malt (10L)
1lb- Chocolate Malt (US)
1lb- Flaked Oats

Hops:
2oz- Hallertauer 20min boil

Yeast:
Safale-04

Additions:
2lbs- Blackberries (Secondary 2 weeks)
4oz- Light Toast Oak Chips soaked in whiskey (Secondary 2 weeks)
4oz- Copper Run Hopped Wheat Whiskey (at kegging)

I will mash in 16qts at 155F with my grain bill minus 1lb of pale. After 60 minutes drop temp to 115 and pitch the last pound of grain on top of my cooler. My heating element and MH1210F will maintain temperatures around 110F for 3 days without having to open the lid. After the third day I will drain and batch sparge with 12qts at 168F. Boil for 20mins with hops to kill bacteria. Chill and add to carboy. Ferment primary 4 days and rack to secondary with blackberries and oak chips for 2 weeks. Keg with 4oz whiskey, force carb to 2.4 and sit for 24hrs. :tank::ban:

This looks interesting and showed up when I was doing some research on mash soured dark beers. I've successfully made mash soured Berliner Weisse (and a very tasty version with peaches).

Did you end up making this? If so any feedback?

I have not made this yet but it is in the pipeline. I had to hold off it so I could do a sour mashed Lichtenhainer for a competition.

Latest posts

Back