Mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktown1860

Reaction score
I have completed 5 all grain brews and each time I heated my strike water to 163-168. The problem is when I added it to the tun and added the grain the temp never dropped more than a degree or 2. It's a 5 gal. round Igloo with a false bottom. As a result my mash temps are much higher than the temp I shot for (152-154). Why? What can I do? I tried a lower strike temp nearer the mash temp and still no big drop. I tried to drop the temp with cool water the last brew and it dropped too low. It fluctuated between 144 & 148. Tried to raise it but not enough head space in the mash tun. Don't think I got complete starch conversion. Just kegged it last week and tasted it yesterday. Taste kinda wimpy. It's drinkable and my wife likes it. Not too hoppy. So, any ideas or suggestions. Same thing happens with sparge water, single or double infusion mashes. Regardless of what the recipe temps call for throughout the mashing and sparging process I can never get the temps to drop more than a degree or two below the temp I heated it to. What problems can result from mashing at to high temps prior to the boil.

On Tap: Fat tire clone.
Bottle: Summer Ale
Primary: Christmas Ale

I'm thinking that your thermometer is not accurate. Unless you store your grains at 150° the temperature is going to come down more than what you are seeing. You can do a simple iodine test to check for conversion.

Mashing at a higher temperature will make your malt not as fermentable as it could, which will create a beer with more body (malty).

But I tend to agree with iaefebs: your thermometer might not be accurate.
Are you using the same thermometer that is sold with any starting kit ? I know that mine will not show a small drop of temperature if I leave it in the wort. I have to take it out, let it cool down a bit, and put it back, so that it shows accurately the temperature. Of course, I discovered that after getting a new thermometer from thermoworks.

just to be sure, are you stirring much when you add your strike water?

I too am using a 5 gal cooler but brewing only w/2+ gallons of water. Last time heated strike to 167 after adding 4 lbs grain it only dropped to 158. Gotta use cooler strike water next time. Guess same for you.

Back