Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjackson

Reaction score
Ok guys my first brew is just about ready to be bottled and I am getting ready to make a trip to the old LHBS and get some supplies for my next brew. I am still on the fence as to what that will be. I have purchased a few books over the past few weeks and read them. I just finished the complete joy of home brewing by charlie papazain. A good informative book.

I have a question though. My first brew was a single infusion mash. I held a temp of 158-155 for an hour. (I did not know about the iodine test at that time.) Anyways now the recipes I am encountering are mainly step infusions. I understand that there must be a rest around 130 F and another around 150-155 F. I know that you add water to the 130 F grist to raise it to 150- 155 F. My question is how do I calculate the amount of water to raise it to the 158 F the recipe just says to raise it.

There is no added water at this step?

I am using a coleman extreme cooler with a pipe mainifold in the bottom. I can't put that thing on the burner!!! What is the best way to achieve these temperature or would it even really hurt if I just did single infusion mashes?

Nowadays, most malts are fully modified and do not benefit from a protein rest. In fact, such a rest can be detrimental. See How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Protein Rest and Modification for more details.
This means you don't have to do a multi step mash, which makes your life much easier.
Unlike BM, I once did a multi-step mash, and it was a huge waste of time.
I'm not saying that multi step mashes are totally unnecessary, just that for most brews they can do more harm than good.

-a.

Nowadays, most malts are fully modified and do not benefit from a protein rest. In fact, such a rest can be detrimental. See How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Protein Rest and Modification for more details.
This means you don't have to do a multi step mash, which makes your life much easier.
Unlike BM, I once did a multi-step mash, and it was a huge waste of time.
I'm not saying that multi step mashes are totally unnecessary, just that for most brews they can do more harm than good.

-a.

I am currently taking a BJCP certification class and this past weeks topic was mashing. There are a handful of Professional brewers as well as a bunch of us homebrewers in there. Out of the entire class, not one person condoned using a step mash unless you are using mostly well modified malt (such as american 2-row) and a high percentage of adjuncts (such as wheat). The argument was that although the step is a traditional method and can be fun and challenging, there are not a lot of insoluble starches left in the grain. Also, if you do plan on using a lot of adjuncts and don't want to do a step mash, just use a higher % of 6-row malt.

-Ander

Latest posts

Back