Marzen with nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple years ago I made a marzen that I really liked

Here is the recipe. This beer was so good and everything I was expecting out of it.

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row)
3 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L
3 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
6.4 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Tettnanger - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 17.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Hallertauer - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 7.1 IBUs
2.0 pkg SafLager German Lager

My question is about this recipe using Nottingham British ale yeast. In two weeks I will have a yeast cake from a Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, that I had to use Nottingham with because the LHBS was out of the other yeast.

To save some money I would like to dump the marzen on top of the old nottingham yeast cake from the Yooper's. I read that Nottingham can be used in lager style beers because it has a low temperature tolerance.

I know I am going backwards with the color and ABV direction but what do you guys think?

Thanks,

David

Nottingham would work. If you can keep the temp on the cool-side (58-62 F) for the first week or so of primary fermentation you'll get less ester character and it will be more lager-like.

WY1728 works pretty well for pseudo fest beers, FWIW. Clean and malty.

I made a Marzen (Oktoberfestbier) last month...2 batches of 5 each. They don't really taste like a real Marzen, still more ale-like than lager though. I'm hoping a lager phase in the keezer will improve the overall flavor. Only time will tell.

For now I'm calling it a "Festiv-Ale" (festival).

FWIW, I lived in Germany for 9 years and been to the Oktoberfest 12 times. My taste buds know...

Back