Marking GF Brew Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMattTrain

Reaction score
Howdy! My wife is gluten free due to a gluten intolerance. She's, fortunately, not so sensitive that we can't share a spoon to stir pasta and she would be fine if I used the same siphoning equipment/carboy for a gluten beer as I do for a GF beer, but we have some friends who are not so fortunate.

Recently I purchased a brand new 5 gallon carboy to make EdWort's Apfelwein. I'd also like to get a new auto siphon and have GF hosing, but I don't know how to mark any of it so I don't get it confused.

Really the question I have is... do any of you have two sets of brew equipment so you don't cross contaminate? If so, how do you mark your GF stuff so you don't gluten it?

Absolutely, most brewers that do sour beers separate out the fermenting equipment entirely, some even move the equipment into a different area than their non-sour equipment. Mark it with permanent marker, or if it's glass etch it clearly, but it is done with just the extra equipment cost.

Thanks.

I'm a little worried about etching my glass stuff. Carboys aren't the greatest quality glass. Does anyone else have anything they've been successful with? I thought about turning the fermometers on those carboys upside down, but I'm so anal I think it will drive me crazy!

I have two sets of equipment. I keep the gluteny gear in the garage, and my GF stuff in the closet. Anything metal I share, anything plastic I keep separate.

It never occurred to me that using the equipment might introduce gluten. Seems bloody obvious now, but I honestly didn't think of it. Guess I need to stop lending gear out to beginner barley-based homebrewers :)

In all seriousness, only my new stainless steel kettle and perty stainless steel racking cane have been truly GF. All the hoses, utensils, my copper wort chiller, buckets, better bottle and glass carboys, etc have been "glutened" from past brew days.

Can I get most of this stuff de-glutened by a good PBW wash and star-san rinse ? I don't plan on doing anything but GF batches going forward.

I suspect the hoses should be replaced and maybe the plastic buckets and carboys but my wort chiller has to stay. :)

I suspect the hoses should be replaced and maybe the plastic buckets and carboys but my wort chiller has to stay. :)

I don't share plastic with non-GF because it's cheap and my peace of mind is worth more than a bucket and hose. I scrub the hell out of my chiller after loaning it out. Apparently my peace of mind values between plastic and copper.

Back