Market Research - What do you need, but can't build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There definitely is a crop of folks here that are well kitted out for tools, but I also see some new brewers who need to be given some basic tool info. Nothing that 10 trips to HD or lowes can't solve, but you might be able to help them.

What about a basic brewing tool set? With an add on for kegging (tap wrench, crimper...).

A certain fellow on my wife's side- his tool box consists of 1 flat head, a phillips, $1 hammer, a rusty pair of pliers, and a handful of mismatched bolts/nuts/screws he's found. Time to revoke his man-card. But if he were a brewer he would be a potential buyer (he wouldn't shell out for a turnkey setup).

Thank you all again for your suggestions, and sorry I was not able to chime in over the weekend. Lots of great ideas to consider, and I'm personally inclined to solving the small problems, like grain mill motors and heat sticks.

It's funny, one of my biggest pet peeves is stirring the grain while adding the water in the mash tun. When I work alone, I still use the auto-siphon hose (I know it's not temp friendly) in one hand and my paddle in the other. I though for sure I would hear that people wanted a motorized slow-speed stirring device for this purpose. That's why market research is so important - you can't sell what people don't want!

Doesn't meet my requirement of "a fair price". $429 for a plastic conical makes no sense to me. I can get a stout for $539 and it is stainless steel. This is why I suggested this. If that was $75-$125, I think you would find a lot of people interested in it. What I am talking about is more like the Speidel fermenters in a conical shape; a 15G one of those goes for $65. Take that tank, leave the spigot in place for racking, change the mold so that it is conical at the bottom, add a dump valve, and you have what I am looking for ( as long as it is a lot cheaper than $400! ). Since it is plastic, you could even make an advanced model with an ability to run glycol through it. I would definitely go for something like that if the price was right!

an injection mold that size would cost $50k+ easily, for JUST the mold. that is for each mold, if you want two then its going to cost $100-150k just in setup fee. then you are looking at 5-10 bucks worth of raw materials for each shot. you better plan on selling millions of them or you will never get close to breaking even.

How about designing/manufacturing a plate chiller that can be disassembled for cleaning. I'm sure this would be cost-prohibitive but if I had to pick 1 piece of equipment that doesn't currently exist that would be it.

I have yet to see one sized appropriately for home brewing at any price. Could be wrong though.

Edit: Didn't notice your link before replying. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Probably still a bit large though.

I own a welding and mahine shop and another member of our club is a hell of a machinist. Between myself and him we make stuff for other members of the club usually charging only cost of materials and beer or ingridents. You've got a good idea but it's been said here in other threads. We homebrewers are already a DIY kinda group. If we werent we'd just go to the store and buy beer without the hassle and expense of all the equipment and such. I've never brewed beer to save money and I'd venture to say no veteren home brewer would admit to that either. After 18 years in the hobby I have spent enough to send a kid to college and probably would have spent more had I not had the shop and skills I have. I have thought about putting together some DIY "kits" for various items. Pre-drilled keggles is one idea where someone can just use weldless fittings and still make their own. I also have a concept for a counter pressure bottle filler that I think would be a good kit as well. That way I have only minimal material and labor cost and can pass the savings on to someone that is willing to put something together that is pre-machined and pre-welded in areas that the general home brewer can't do. Well, back to my research on the counter pressure filler.

I would love a book on build projects. A step-by-step DIY hombrew build book. Who needs another mediocre recipe book that is 90% extract recipes?

Sure, the first 3 I bought were cool. The next 3 I received as gifts were nice. The next 10 I received as gifts were damn annoying. Then I issued a moratorium.

I would love a book on build projects. A step-by-step DIY hombrew build book.

That is a great idea. It could have sections for beginner, intermediate and advanced just like the recipe books :cross:

I'm sure I could put one together but between my family, the shop, brewing beer and theater I don't have time to tackle such a task but would be willing to contribute some of my plans and sketches.

Back