March "Seal less" Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a pump into my gear.

I was looking at pumps and noticed many do not include a plug. Is that because they need to be hard wired into the circuit breaker box or is that you just have to attach a simple 3 prong plug to it and stick it into a wall outlet?

Also, do you have to use any special tubing?

I have clear plastic hoses for my gear. I noticed when flowing hot wort or water the tubing gets soft and crimps on itself. Do I need to use heavier rubber hoses or what?

Thanks

I think it's really application specific. I ordered mine with a cord, but I think it would be an easy mod to add one yourself. They do not have to be hard-wired.

As for the tubing, I would highly recommend 1/2" ID silicone tubing. A little pricey, but worth every penny.

Instead of wiring directly to a plug, wire to a switch, then to a plug. Mount the switch and pump to some kind of secure base (you *are* keeping your pump safe from drips, right?), and don't forget your GFCI!

They don't come with a plug for flexibility reasons I suppose. Homebrew shops often sell them with a plug attached if that is what you want to buy.

The only tubing consideration specific to the pump is that you want the maximum possible flow on the input side. So don't use tubing or a disconnect that has a smaller ID than whatever is the smallest ID component currently in the path.

You can wire on a plug. I'm like matthewkbridges, I have it wired to switch then a plug. The switch is very nice when getting it primed.

+1 on the 1/2" ID silicone tubing. It's expensive but it works well even at boiling temps.

I wired on a plug and plugged it into a wireless switch with a gfci plugged into the other side. Extension cord into the gfci and I can turn the pump on and off with the remote.

Back