Maple syrup cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skou

Reaction score
Anyone used maple syrup in hard cider?

I've got a little bit (5 gallons) of syrup, and
want to try.

Since I've got a kegerator and Cornies,
I'm thinking 4 gallons of apple juice, and a
quart (or more) of syrup. Maybe some 90 L
crystal malt for residual sweetness.

Any ideas?

steve

Anyone used maple syrup in hard cider?

Yes I have used maple syrup, never used a qt in one 5 gallon batch,
If I remember correctly we have added it to the primary, secondary and have used it in back sweetening at bottling but I can't recall details, I'll review our notes and report back to you. I'll edit t his post after I read over my notes.

Larry
Toxic Cellar

interesting that this came up. I am looking to do a cider tomorrow. Here is my plan

5 gallons fresh cider
12oz pure maple syrup
3 cinnamon sticks
1 C Raw Sugar
1/2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Orange Peel
3 oz Lactose
S-05

Bring to 165-185 to pasteurize
Add all ingredients
Chill
2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary
Ferment at 66 degrees

thoughts?

interesting that this came up. I am looking to do a cider tomorrow. Here is my plan

5 gallons fresh cider
12oz pure maple syrup
3 cinnamon sticks
1 C Raw Sugar
1/2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Orange Peel
3 oz Lactose
S-05

Bring to 165-185 to pasteurize
Add all ingredients
Chill
2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary
Ferment at 66 degrees

thoughts?
WOW that is almost my first Cider recipe and it turned out great. I didn't use the allspice or orange peel, and I did use more sugar. as I stated above let me look at my notes and I'll report back in a few hours.

Larry

my log show we put 7.5 oz maple syrup into 4 gallon batch, could not taste it, in secondary we put a sweetener or back flavored it before bottling 16 tbsp of maple syrup along with splenda and cinnamon, tasted great but we didn't stop the fermentation and it over carbonated because of the sugar in the syrup.

Hope this helps you. Please post your results.

Larry
Toxic Cellar

I've used maple syrup alot, mostly in beers and Maple Mead (what's that called?). I tap a few trees around the house, so have plenty of syrup. My experiences with beer is that all the sugar in the syrup is used same as any plain sugar. Leaving almost no flavor behind. Even when I use it at bottling. If I want some maple flavor, I add a little vanilla, a touch of cinnamon, and some wood chips. Soak it all in dark rum and add it late fermentation. Plus a little maple extract. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I went with my recipe as originally posted. Fairly simple/easy brew day. Its one of the things i like about making cider. You can squeeze it in when you only have a few hours.

Thanks for the feedback. I went with my recipe as originally posted. Fairly simple/easy brew day. Its one of the things i like about making cider. You can squeeze it in when you only have a few hours.
I will say, that looks like a pretty tasty recipe. I might try something similar this year. I usually do a straight, no extraneous flavors, cider and a graf each year.

So i figured i'd post an update on mine. (Sunday 9/23) After pasteurizing the cider, adding all ingredients and then chilling to 71 degrees i put this in my ferm chamber to drop it to 66 degrees. Once at 66 I pitched a full packet of US-05 and pumped in pure O2 for about 45 seconds. It got a little cold here that first night so i switched the controller over to heat as the must had dropped to 64. I don't have a dual stage controller but one is on the way to me now.

That being said it has held at 66 just fine but is fermenting really slow. 66 is in the mid range for this yeast (per the packet) but i don't have much experience with it. Can i expect a slow ferment or has anyone really seen this stuff rip through a cider must?

I'm a newbe too but my latest batch was about 10 degrees over the high temp range for my yeast. the air lock was poping 3 to 4 time every second. The guys hear on HBT told me to get the temp down before i ferment jet fuel with a funk, i got temp down to midle of range now and the air lock is poping about once overy 3 to 4 seconds.
I am to understand slow and steady wins the race.

Back