Maple Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am really wanting to brew a Maple Smoked Porter this Sunday. I was wondering if anybody is willing to give me their input on recipe ideas and techniques. The flavor profile I am looking for is kind of complex in that I want to also add cayenne pepper to it as well.

I want to beer to start with a mild sweet and smoky flavor and have a slight kick of heat from the cayenne pepper. I believe the maple flavor along with a smoked hickory would be great together. I am just worried that it will taste to much like breakfast, so I am going add maple extract to the fermentation and not in the boil, so not to have it just evaporate and lose the flavor.

I got the idea from when I candy bacon with brown sugar and cayenne pepper, and thought it would be an interesting beer flavor.

If there are any suggestions and tips and even some recipe ideas, I would GREATLY appreciate any help I can get.

Sounds interesting. If using flavor extract I would wait until after fermentation. Do a couple samples with different ratios to see how much you should add. Do some math for the entire batch and then add to bottling bucket or keg.

Back