Maple Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Wagon

Reaction score
The other day I ran across an old recipe that I wrote and made several years ago. Now the beer I made was really good and i would like to make it again, however while in the home brew store I went over the recipe with the owner and with his help I tweaked the recipe. The only problem is that my notes on the tweaks are incomplete. And of course the owner of the store sold his share of the business and as such I cannot go back to him. So I am going to post what i have here and hope i can get this recipe back to its glory.

This beer is lighter amber ale with a malty body and mild hop finish.

4lbs Dark Malt Extract
64oz Grade A Dark Maple Syrup
.25lbs Crystal 120
1.25lbs British light
1/3oz Gallena @ 60min
1/3oz Williamet @ 15min
1/6oz Williamet @ 1min

Please any thoughts you guys might have would be of great value

If it was light amber I assume you swapped out some of the dark extract for more light.

That is a lot of maple syrup (is it by weight or volume). I'm not sure you would have used that much. Do you remember?

I'd also suggest grade B syrup since it has more maple flavor.

Any notes on the yeast? Something English or American I assume.

It was English Ale yeast. Actually the change from light extract to dark extract is one of the few changes i actually have written down. and the maple syrup is by volume. i dont know if i have ever seen grade b syrup

I went to the store today and together with the new owner we found my old receipt in their system to find out what i purchased that day. it turns out that even though in my notes i changed from light extract to dark extract i bought the light. so here is the recipe as it stands now. and i am still open to suggestions.

5 lbs light malt extract
2.5 lbs british two row
2 lbs american 2 row
.5 lb crystal 40

1/3 oz galena @ 60
1/3 oz willamet @ 15
1/3 oz willamet @ 1

with english ale yeast

Back