Maple Addition Boost OG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cant find a solid answer or some basic formulas..... how do i calculate the boost in OG if I add maple syrup during fermentation?

OG was 1.076.....added 8 oz of maple syrup? What does that put it at now and how?

Thanx in advance

BeerSmith is probably overkill for you, but it's a really valuable tool for tinkering with (or formulating brand new) recipes.

I plan on getting it in the future. But as for now I just want to know how to do the math on X (amount of syrup added) + Y (grav amount) = Recalculated OG

Cool. Good to know. I brewed a Barleywine today that I plan on adding a pound of maple syrup to high krausen. I was a little low on my OG so I'm hoping your data is right.

Strange timing seeing this post right when I was thinking about the same thing...

I usually add mine the 2nd day of active fermentation as recommended in Extreme Brewing. But my last batch I addedit once the fermentation had passed high krausen and was slowing down a bit. More importantly is to use Grade B pure maple syrup. If your opening the bottle for the first time just dump right in but... if its a previously opened bottle add the amount of syrup you want(you said 1#) plus an extra 2 ounces and add to 6 oz of boiling water then remove from heat and cool. This sterilizes the syrup and the extra 2 oz compensates for the 6oz of boiling water. Hope this helps.

Back