How you like my Pale Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knollybru

Reaction score
In an ongoing effort to craft the perfect Pale Ale recipe, I am hoping to brew this version this weekend. What do you think? Going for a beer that is crushable with smooth bitterness, lots of hop flavor with a crisp malt profile. I am leaving out the Munich this time and adding a little C40 for color and sweetness to balance out the hefty addition of cascade. Trying to mix a little old school hop flavor with some new school varieties.

On a side note, I’ve had problems lately with astringent flavors in my hoppy beers. Thus the reason for the small 60 minute addition. Seeing if that helps.

I welcome all feedback.

88% UK Pearl malt
8% Wheat malt
3% C40

10 IBU Nugget @60
15 IBU Cascade @10
.75 ea Citra, Loral, Galaxy @ 0

American Ale yeast

1054 OG

Is that for a 5 gallon/20 L batch? If it is, then I'm afraid you need a whole lot more hops.

" ... smooth bitterness, lots of hop flavor with a crisp malt profile. " ---> The smoothest bitterness I get - and it's something I've just recently began using - is from a hopping schedule that starts at around 20 minutes left in the boil. I also do a whirlpool with lots of hops, at a low temperature. Thsi helps with extracting flavour and not so much bitterness.

Regarding hop flavour: more late boil additions and whirlpool. You will get more aroma if you also dry hop.

Crisp malt profile: usually a Pale Ale, employs small amounts of Crystal/Caramel malt to balance out whatever. If you're not overdoing it, it should be fine. My personal recommendation would be to ditch the C40. I would keep the Pearl, I would add Flaked oats or Oat malt and some Rye malt ( malted, not flaked ) + a warmer mash, like 154F/68C. In my opinion, it will accomplish a few things: the perception of body and mouthfeel, which is important in a lower ABV/ lower hopped style, like a Pale Ale. The rye and oats will definitely help with body and mouthfeel. The higher mash temp will leave slightly more dextrins in the beer, thus avoiding it becoming to thin ( the yeast will also attenuate slightly less ).

I would also recommend tweaking your water, as it's one of the most important aspects of brewing.

There's nothing obvious that should be tweaked in your recipe. Some might prefer a different malt profile or hop schedule, but I think that is completely fine and will be a totally drinkable beer. I courage people to brew their recipes as they are because it's tge only way to know how it would turn out. Unless there is something obvious pointing out, like way too much crystal etc.

0.75lb of knockout hops is a decent amount, but might consider doing a dry hop as well. No need to over do it, 0.5lb would give a nice aroma punch.

I wouldn't give too much of importance to water profile as a homebrewer. It's possible to brew great beer without adjusting your water at all. If your tap water is fresh and doesn't include chloride, it's probably good enough for homebrewing. If you have to buy distilled water, adjusting it is good practice.

Water is a good thing to be aware of, but it's one of the last things to be really worried or focusing on, unless your tap water is crap.

I don't think it's 0.75 lb ( 340 gr ).

It's probably just 0.75 oz each. That puts it at 2.25 oz ( 63 gr hops ) for knockout. For 5 gallons, it's really not much. Maybe a Blonde Ale, but not a Pale Ale.

For me, a little character in the grist is helpful. A bit on different ends, but Vienna and Rye come to mind. I like the snap that rye adds personally. It does not take a lot and it does not need to feature. 5% rye has an impact in simple grain bills with lower IBU's. Vienna has a wonderful malty flavor without the sweetness. To me, it rounds out the flavor nicely. Either would be great

As talked about above, a few more IBU's at the 20 minute mark is a great idea. I would shoot for the low 30's anyway. A hint of bitterness with more hop flavor will be the result.

Last edited:
I'm not a hop head, but 25 IBU is probably a tad on the low side for a normal pale ale.

I think it looks like a pretty good Pale Ale recipe as is. I imagine you'll have a nice balance between malt and hop. I'd probably mash mid-150s to promote that.

For me 25 IBU's on the homebrew level is probably really only 15 IBU's. I usually aim for 35-45 IBU's for pales (which I mainly brew) and it's been lacking. I now aim for 10-15 IBU's more than my target and it's been a lot better.
For some reason, I cannot match the IBU's versus a commercial version. Maybe they have better hops or use more Gypsum in their water.
You can also move the 60 min to either 45 or 30 or even a FWH addition. It would smooth out the bitterness. Personally I would aim for 35 IBU's at 45 or 30 min and I would add a DH addition of 3 oz min if you are brewing 5 gallons.

Going for a beer that is crushable with smooth bitterness, lots of hop flavor with a crisp malt profile...

I’ve had problems lately with astringent flavors in my hoppy beers. Thus the reason for the small 60 minute addition...

1054 OG

The trouble is that phrases like "pale ale" mean different things to different people - are you talking the classic meaning, like Bass? Or are you going for a more US interpretation of the phrase?

I'm not even sure what a "crisp" malt profile looks like, other than perhaps light and fairly characterless - so pilsner-heavy? Personally that would just emphasise any astringency and I would go in the opposite direction.

From a British perspective, the recipe looks fine, except the OG looks a bit high to be really balanced, which is what you want for "crushability", particularly combined with a high-attenuation yeast. Personally I'd be looking for something closer to 1045 with American Ale yeast (I assume you mean Wyeast 1056?), maybe a few points higher with a lower-attenuation British yeast.

The trouble with "astringency" is that it can be hard to know what you're talking about over the internet, as different people use it for different flavours such as high attenuation or bitterness as well as "true" astringency from tannins. But reducing the bitterness is just a coverup, it's better to fix the underlying problem.

And astringency is usually connected with water one way or another. You don't say where you are, but usually there's a basic water analysis for your area published on your water company's website. It's not perfect, but it's a good place to start. If you have problems with your kettle furring up, then you definitely need to pay attention to water chemistry and the pH of your mash.

Hop quantity is fine, it's pretty similar to my house beer for weekday drinking, but it depends what you view as "lots of hop flavor" so I wouldn't argue if you wanted more. Whilst you're developing the beer I'd probably reduce the number of different hops, there's always a danger that instead of complexity you just end up with "grey".

I'm afraid you need a whole lot more hops....

I would add Flaked oats or Oat malt and some Rye malt ( malted, not flaked ) + a warmer mash, like 154F/68C. In my opinion, it will accomplish a few things: the perception of body and mouthfeel, which is important in a lower ABV/ lower hopped style, like a Pale Ale.
For 5 gallons, it's really not much. Maybe a Blonde Ale, but not a Pale Ale.

It's amazing how British brewers, the masters of "lower ABV/ lower hopped style" in generally only use oats when forced to by the combined efforts of the German Navy and British bureaucracy. Ultimately I guess it depends, are you going for a beer that's more inspired by New England or old England. If you drink Bass or Landlord and think "it could do with a ton of Citra and 20% oats" then that's fine - but Bass and Landlord are fine things in their own way.

I'm not a hop head, but 25 IBU is probably a tad on the low side for a normal pale ale.
Bass is the archetypal traditional pale ale, and I'd guess is only in the high 20's in its modern incarnation.

I wouldn't give too much of importance to water profile as a homebrewer. It's possible to brew great beer without adjusting your water at all. If your tap water is fresh and doesn't include chloride, it's probably good enough for homebrewing. If you have to buy distilled water, adjusting it is good practice.

Water is a good thing to be aware of, but it's one of the last things to be really worried or focusing on, unless your tap water is crap.

That's easy to say in somewhere like Finland, where your water supply is mostly surface water coming off granite and metamorphic rocks - but it's far more of a problem when you're somewhere that has mostly groundwater coming through chalk. Crap water is a lot more common that you might think. I'm lucky where I brew to have water more like Finland - but I've lived in houses where there was so much bicarbonate in the water that it came out of the tap visibly "fizzy". If you have noticeable chlorine smell or problems with kettles furring up then you definitely want to be fixing your water, and even if it's not that obvious it's worth a look at a water report just in case you have one of the hidden "nasties" like iron or manganese.

I like the grain bill. Solid and 1.054 is fine for a US pale ale by current standards.
Whether you will have enough bitterness will really come from your chilling plan. How long will you let those knockout hops steep and at what temperature? If you put them in at boiling and turn off the burner and let them sit for 15-30 minutes you will get quite a few IBU from them and likely more IBU from your cascade addition than you calculated.

Yes, this would be for a 5 gal batch. American Pale Ale. I planned on adding the zero minute addition right after flameout. So I will definitely pick up some IBU’s from that. I’ve gone back and forth on flameout additions. Sometimes I add right after the boil is done and others I’ve chilled down to 185 or so and steeped 20-30 min. I can never decide on hopping times. It drives me nuts!

My water is fairly neutral, if anything it’s soft. I usually add moderate amounts of gypsum and calcium chloride using online water calculator.

I'd still check the pH, you'll almost certainly want a bit of acid in there.

I would second measuring pH and treating your water, just a bit. A " correct " water profile or somewhat in the vicinity, does complement the resulting beer. It takes a few batches to find out where your taste lies and what you really want.

Regarding the oats: I don't quite understand ( I might be a bit slow today ) what you were trying to say, but if I understand it correctly, then NO, you really do not need any special adjuncts to brew a low ABV/crushable pale ale styled beer. I was trying to recommend a way around using Crystal malt. Not that I don't like Crystal malts, I do, but maybe try something different, which of course is not that different.

Personally I love bitters and english ales. Don't get that many here where I live. But I do like the simplicity in these beers, which ultimately result in great beers, which I seek all the time...

The astringency you mention might be the water. A few ml of lactic acid (88%) couldn't hurt, even if you don't really need it.

I have a lot of hops in my freezer. I've started adding my bittering hops at 30 minutes instead of 60, and using more. A lot more of the flavor comes through, not just the bitter.

BTW, your recipe looks fine to me, except not quite bitter enough -- but it's close. :)

Back