Manifold Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baudler

Reaction score
Just finished my CPVC manifold for my first AG brew. I'm looking for feedback, positive or negative, anything that might help me from screwing up my first AG batch. Holes are on the bottom. Tried to go by Palmer's recommendations.

IMAG0646.jpg

IMAG0647.jpg

baudler said:
I'm going to batch sparge.

Manifold design is pretty unimportant with batch sparging. Just make sure the holes face downward, and you should be fine!

Manifold design is pretty unimportant with batch sparging. Just make sure the holes face downward, and you should be fine!

? holes upward why. Does it increase efficiency? I have similar setup and 4ag in no stuck sparge and i batch sparge.

personally id shorten the legs a bit so the end is not so close to the wall. Reduce the chance of channeling by doing that.

tchuklobrau said:
? holes upward why. Does it increase efficiency? I have similar setup and 4ag in no stuck sparge and i batch sparge.

It's really just to allow it to drain more sweet wort from the mash tun, kind of like a dip tube in a way. So yeah, I guess the ultimate purpose would be to increase efficiency - otherwise, the height of the MLT up to the top of the pipe (where the cuts are) is just dead space where sugars are being left behind.

It may also slightly reduce chances of a stuck sparge, but not very significantly, if at all.

tchuklobrau said:
personally id shorten the legs a bit so the end is not so close to the wall. Reduce the chance of channeling by doing that.

Channeling is a non-issue with batch sparging. All of the grain should soak in the still water long enough to fairly evenly distribute the sugars prior to draining.

It's only with fly sparging, where the sugars are instead being rinsed, that channeling needs to be avoided in order to ensure extraction from all of the grain in the mash tun.

Latest posts

Back