Mangrove's Jack Lucky Goat Pale ale, way too bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
So I made this beer as a glorified yeast starter, but I wouldn't mind if I could drink it though.
This is what I did:
1 pouch Lucky goat pale ale LME
500 gram extra light DME
16oz/1lbs 453 gram Golden Candi Syrup
+/- 200BL cells of Brewery Het Anker yeast. (Botlle harvested from Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor)

The kit was for 23 liters but I only filled the fermenter to 20L to up the flavors, and added the DME instead of an extra pound of sugar to give the beer some extra body.

OG was 1.050 but Beersmith gives me 1.047 so I probably didn't mix it evenly.
FG was a rediculous 1.001(!)

The result is a very dry beer, it is fruity, but way way too bitter, according to Beersmith it is 41.7 IBU's, had one with my father and we tossed it after a few sips, just too bitter for our likings.

What are my options here, will cellar it for 6 months do the trick? Or maybe a year? I have the room and if it would work out this way I would think it's worth the wait. Or would it be better to blend it in the glass with a lower IBU beer. If so anybody any good suggestions?

Also, this beer tastes more bitter then any beer I have ever tasted, is this the combination of a lower ABV (6% ABV vs 41.7 IBU's) or is there more at play here? Does the extremely low FG have any part in it? It certainly ruined the head retention even though I used 500grams of DME.

Looking forward to your opinions, thanks in advance.
Remi

So I made this beer as a glorified yeast starter, but I wouldn't mind if I could drink it though...

+/- 200BL cells of Brewery Het Anker yeast. (Botlle harvested from Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor)...

FG was a rediculous 1.001(!)

The result is a very dry beer, it is fruity, but way way too bitter, according to Beersmith it is 41.7 IBU's

The big problem here is that you have no idea what organisms you are fermenting with - and with harvested yeast there's always a danger that you end up with a bottle-conditioning yeast rather than the yeast that was used to make the original beer. If you repeated the beer with a known yeast you would at least know if the problem lies with the kit or the yeast, or do a test ferment on unhopped starters with this yeast and a known yeast.

The big problem here is that you have no idea what organisms you are fermenting with - and with harvested yeast there's always a danger that you end up with a bottle-conditioning yeast rather than the yeast that was used to make the original beer. If you repeated the beer with a known yeast you would at least know if the problem lies with the kit or the yeast, or do a test ferment on unhopped starters with this yeast and a known yeast.
I did a Gouden Carolus classic clone already with this yeast and it attenuated very well, but the resulting beer is very close to the original and totally delicious. I am currently finetuning the malts amount to compensate for the higher attenuation, but so far this yeast looks promising!

Good point though comparing yeasts, I'll consider brewing a 50/50 batch with this yeast and a Wyeast strain

Last edited:
I did a Gouden Carolus classic clone already with this yeast and it attenuated very well, but the resulting beer is very close to the original and totally delicious.

So did the yeast for this beer come direct from a GC bottle or from your clone? You could be seeing a change in the mix of organisms over time.

So did the yeast for this beer come direct from a GC bottle or from your clone? You could be seeing a change in the mix of organisms over time.
I harvested the yeast from 2 bottles of Hopsinjoor and build up a starter big enough for a low abv batch (The Mangrove Jack kit)
Then I pitched a part of that yeast cake.
I am aware it may have mutated already, that's why finding an alternate (Wyeast/Whitelabs) strain would be ideal.
The result is however very very similar to the original beer, the smell is spot on, the taste is very close to the original. It needs some finetuning to be an exact clone, but I think I might just give it my own spin. For me a good drink is more important then an ideal clone.

That's really interessting! Did you make the beer per instruction, or did you anything that wasn't in the original recipe?

I brewed it 1.5lbs of liquid glucose - 1.5lbs liquid light malt extract boiled in 1oz of cascade hops for 20 minutes (boiled in the LME and glucose). Topped it up to 20L. Tasty beer.

Back