Does my harvested yeast starter make any chance at all?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh:
IMG_5278.jpg

First brew with this yeast:
IMG_5398_1.jpg

Very brown and extremely fruity smelling yeast cake!
IMG_5399.jpg

Washing the yeast
IMG_5403.jpg

Harvested 3 mason jars worth of fluid, this one is starting to settle, will update when all the yeast is crashed.
The plan is to do the Carolus brew at the end of the week, would I need to restart the yeast first? Or should I just pitch the desired amount?

Harvested 3 mason jars worth of fluid, this one is starting to settle, will update when all the yeast is crashed.
The plan is to do the Carolus brew at the end of the week, would I need to restart the yeast first? Or should I just pitch the desired amount?

How much of the yeast do you think you can kill in only a week? Put it in the refrigerator and you should have 99% viability.

How much of the yeast do you think you can kill in only a week? Put it in the refrigerator and you should have 99% viability.
Figured that, but I am wondering if there would be a benefit from pitching active yeast instead of sleeping yeast. Probably I worry too much! Thanks

Figured that, but I am wondering if there would be a benefit from pitching active yeast instead of sleeping yeast. Probably I worry too much! Thanks

You might move the lag time from the fermenter to the starter but that's about all. Dump one jar of it in and you should have plenty of yeast. The yeast that hasn't settled will likely be the most active.

You might move the lag time from the fermenter to the starter but that's about all. Dump one jar of it in and you should have plenty of yeast. The yeast that hasn't settled will likely be the most active.
The plan is brewing 20L of 1.076 beer, you sure 1 jar would cut it? If so you just saved me a bunch of calculation/guesstimating

Poeple will argue about the amount of yeast needed for any given batch. I've made a beer bigger than that and used a single packet of dry yeast and had it ferment just fine. Aerate the wort well as that sets up the conditions for the yeast to multiply in it and you will get plenty of cells.

Poeple will argue about the amount of yeast needed for any given batch. I've made a beer bigger than that and used a single packet of dry yeast and had it ferment just fine. Aerate the wort well as that sets up the conditions for the yeast to multiply in it and you will get plenty of cells.
Might give that a shot, this yeast is monster anyway, it fermented my last batch from 1.050 to 1.001!! I also have nutrients I could add so should probably work out fine!

Might give that a shot, this yeast is monster anyway, it fermented my last batch from 1.050 to 1.001!! I also have nutrients I could add so should probably work out fine!

I agree with @RM-MN regarding the pitching of one jar; checked on Mr.Malty.com with default yeast density/non-yeast parameters and a lower viability giving some margin for your future brew date, it looks good:

275a.png

This yeast is slooooow. OG was 1.076 and I'm now at 1.036 8 days later, upped the temperature to 24C and will let it be for two more weeks, it tastes very fruity, and slightly sweet which is expected with 1.036. Will be tasting the first brew from this yeast later this afternoon, will update when I know more.

IMG_5496.jpg

It’s very fruity , very bitter and very dry, but the yeast did one hell of a job. Might set it away for a while to try and mellow it out some more

I just tried culturing Schneider Weizen yeast on wort (1.040) agar plates (poured the bottle dregs to a very small volume of pressure cooker -sterilized starter wort) and inoculated a plate with that slurry using a wire loop. It works great, at least from TAP4 (Meine Festweisse) that has a moderate ABV (5+%), it will be easy to get single colonies. Fuller's yeast from 1845 seems to be more challenging, just had to make a second attempt. There is less yeast in the bottle than in the Weissbier (of course) and the ABV is a bit higher (6+%). And it has probably been matured longer in the bottles. Let's see what we can get from there. If it doesn't work this time I will try to grow it up in liquid wort for a longer period. The good news is that you can't buy Schneider yeast from Wyeast whereas you can do that with the Fuller's yeast.

Back