Mangrove jack m20 fast finishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish kiwi

Reaction score
I have a Hefeweizen fermenting with a plan to have it kegged and ready for Christmas Day. My OG1.049 has dropped to 1.014 when I checked it this morning 36hrs after pitching. I had a healthy two inch krausen twelve hours after pitching which has now fallen. I fermented at 25C to encourage banana esters to develop. Never used this yeast before so just wondering if anyone else has experienced this fast a fermentation using it

Last edited:
I can't speak from experience, but I'm getting ready to try it out (this afternoon, actually), so I've done a bit of research on M20. Mostly here, reddit, AHA, aussiehomebrewer, etc. I don't recall anyone mentioning that fast of a ferment, but I'd like to hear what others' experience has been as well.

TL,DR: Subscribed!

BTW, this thread might get more visibility in the Fermentation & Yeast forum.

Last edited:
So how is your batch coming along?

I pitched about 48 hours ago. At 24 hours, it was smelling quite good with a nice banana aroma. Bubbling like gangbusters, around 26C. I had 2-3 inches of krausen as well. At 48 hours, though, I'm getting a lot of sulfur and very slow bubbling, krausen is gone, temp is down to about 22. Haven't checked the gravity yet.

Kegged mine today and force carbed it so hopefully should have a finished product to taste tomorrow evening. I got a pretty even mix of banana and clove. It tastes pretty good straight from the fermenter but I will be interested to see what’s it’s like with the carbonic acid bite after carbonation. Sounds like it ripped along fairly well for you too I didn’t have the sulphur issue but anytime I’ve had it in the past has been when I’ve used Pilsner malt and it normally blows off through the airlock in a couple of days with no ill effects.

Fair point just wasn’t expecting to hit within one point of expected final gravity within such a short time period.
Other than running at the upper end of the temp range do you know any other way of maximising the production of banana esters

If you're force-carbing, you might want to consider using dextrose or speise (unfermented wort) instead. That could get you some extra banana.

So how did yours turn out? Mine's just so-so at the moment... I bottled it a week ago, hoping it'll be better a week from now.

So how did yours turn out? Mine's just so-so at the moment... I bottled it a week ago, hoping it'll be better a week from now.
Sorry for the slow reply I’ve been deer hunting here in NZ for the last couple of weeks.
It came out OK but not quite what I was aiming for. I’ve had a few people round who like Hefeweizen and they really like it but I was hoping for a bigger banana hit while this is more of a balance between banana and clove

Back