Mango Puree in SS Brewtech Brew Bucket or in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I moved a just-brewed Mango American Wheat Ale into my Brewbucket and pitched yeast in. The recipe I'm following said to rack the beer onto mango puree in the secondary but I think that's just going to re-start fermentation, right? Would I be better off waiting until the initial fermentation was mostly done, then pour the puree directly into the primary and let it ferment again?

Related question: When everything's done, is there going to be a lot of spent puree left on the bottom (of of whatever container it's in)? Or does the puree dissolve into the beer? The Brewbucket has a conical bottom, so if there's going to be spent pulp on the bottom I can rotate the pickup tube so it's above the cone and leave the spent puree on the bottom when I keg it.

I do a Raspberry Porter that gets canned purée in it. For that, I add it to the primary fermenter on about day 10 or so. It settles at the bottom and packs down nicely over a 7-10 day period. I also cold crash that beer and add pectic enzyme.
I’ve used mango along with various other fruits in my sours. It is always puréed and pasteurized. The sours with fruit are done in secondary fermenters and again the purée always settles and packs down nicely at the bottom.

Thanks. I'm going to cold crash so it sounds like I'll be good just pouring the fruit puree into the primary in a week or so. I'm using a Tilt hydrometer, so I'll keep an eye on the SG curve and add the mango once fermentation slows down.

I've done a bunch of Mango beers in my BrewBucket without a problem. I usually add 6lbs of fresh mango pureed with a cup of vodka at the tail end of fermentation. This works out to day 3 or 4 for me.

A few tips: add the puree slowly...it creates nucleation sites and can foam out of the fermentor. Do a longish cold crash (2 or 3 days), Mango is more fibrous than most fruit and can clog your dip tube; expect to have to rotate the tube up a few inches (1/4 turn). If you do a pressure closed transfer, expect to bail to an open transfer due to clogging of the poppet. I use a floating dip tube in the keg for my mango beers for the same reason.

Despite the difficulties, mango and beer go very well together, it's always a crowd pleaser. Cheers! Rick

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll rotate the dip tup all the way up and then slowly rotate it down at the end of the transfer until I start pulling in mango fibers. Looking forward to this batch.

Back