Mandarina Drop... My latest NE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
Getting better and better at these. This one is my best one to date. very creamy mouthfeel, pineapple, mandarin, citrus, a bit of peach. low bitterness. Here is the recipe. Let me know what you think.

Recipe Type: All Grain

Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 gallons (into fermenter)
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.005
ABV: 7.7%
IBU: 50(?)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.0
Fermentation: 14 days @ about 65

GRAIN BILL:
71.7% Pale malt
17.9% Flaked oats
5.4% Dextrine malt
3.1% Acid malt
1.8% crystal 15

60 minute mash @150

HOPS:
30 Min. = 1 oz exp 7270
Flame Out = 1oz Amarillo
Whirlpool @ 180 (20 minutes)= 1oz. each of Galaxy/Mandarina Bavaria/Lemon Drop

YEAST:
Blend of Imperial A01 House / wyeast 3711

DRY HOPS:
Dry hop #1 added at day 3. Tie down with dental floss and remove after 5 days
1.2 oz. Galaxy
1.2 oz Mandarina bavaria
1.2 oz Lemon Drop

**Dry Hop #2 - At day 11, remove and keg 3 days later
.8 oz. Galaxy
.8 oz. Mandarina Bavaria
.8 oz. Lemon Drop

Chloride to sulfate:
125/ 105

here is a pic

NEIPA2.jpg

That actually sounds really nice.
I've not used Mandarina yet but I've heard it is quite mild and easily overpowered by other, more prominent hops.
Any comment on that?

I hear the same about lemon drop. I used quite a bit of Galaxy which is a really overpowering hop and I still get a lot of citrus, mandarin, tangerine on the nose which I can only assume comes from mandarina/lemon drop

Nice! Good color on that too. I'm kegging my first try at this style today! Didn't use any crystal since I wanted it to be really yellow like pineapple juice. Have you messed around with the color range? Used darker crystal or go more than 2% of you total grain bill? I think that's a spot on color you got on this one.

That looks fantastic. Perhaps a dumb question, but do you have a recommendation for an extract-only version?

Nice! Good color on that too. I'm kegging my first try at this style today! Didn't use any crystal since I wanted it to be really yellow like pineapple juice. Have you messed around with the color range? Used darker crystal or go more than 2% of you total grain bill? I think that's a spot on color you got on this one.

I have not gone darker because I am with you on the color. The more yellower the better. Ill experiment without any crystal if anything.

That looks fantastic. Perhaps a dumb question, but do you have a recommendation for an extract-only version?

I can't help you much there. I would recommend atleast a partial mash version. I would think you could substitute the pale malt with LME and DME and mash the rest. I don't know how this would affect the hop schedule though

I hear the same about lemon drop. I used quite a bit of Galaxy which is a really overpowering hop and I still get a lot of citrus, mandarin, tangerine on the nose which I can only assume comes from mandarina/lemon drop

I've used a lot of lemon drop in the past and recently did a MandaBav smash.

The MB is super light but pleasant. I used 4oz in the smash with most in the last 5 minutes and the dry hop. It was like a pale ale. Very weak on the hops.

The Lemon drop is actually a powerful hop IMO like citra. Although it has a distinct flavor, it's good as well.

I've also used Galaxy and it's good and fairly strong as well.

I have not gone darker because I am with you on the color. The more yellower the better. Ill experiment without any crystal if anything.

Ill post a picture when I'm done kegging of mine. Came out looking like straight pineapple juice with no crystal malt.

This was my version. Golden promise, flaked oats, wheat malt and honey malt

A little more orange than pineapple juice

IMG_2899.jpg

Nice. I might just try no crystal malt next time shouldn't be a problem specially using dextrine

Here's mine w/o crystal. Pale malt, flaked oats, white wheat

I remember seeing yours on the "Northeast" thread and wanting it to come out like yours. No crystal just gives a super bright yellow color. I need to experiment to find out how to get the glowing orange color but I think crystal 15 at 2% of the grail bill should do it. The darker the crystal the more bronze the color starts getting is what I've been noticing.

I've been contemplating an American wheat or even a hefeweizen using a 2-1 ratio of Mandarina and Citra (I figure Citra might overpower the Mandarina, hence the 2-1 ratio).
Anyone else use those two in combination?

Back