Mandarin Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning a citrus wheat using some new hops. Let me know what you think about the recipe. I'm looking for an orange fruity flavor without using any fruit.

Not sure how to import my Beersmith pages so here's the recipe in rough form.

5.5lbs 2-Row Pale
5lbs German Wheat Malt
.5lbs Vienna Malt
.5lbs Munich Malt
1lb Rice Hulls
.5oz Meridian (6.7%) 45min 10.5IBU
1oz Mandarina (8.1%) 15min 13.8IBU
.5oz Wai-Iti (3.4%) 15min 2.9IBU
.5oz Wai-Iti (3.4%) 5min 1.2IBU
US-05 Yeast
Not sure if I'm going to dry hop or not.

Open to all suggestions.

Id use a wheat yeast (WB06 if you are limited to dry yeasts), they seem to bring out fruit character in the hops. That's what happened with that fruit loops hefe I did and your recipe has even more hops so I'm guessing it'll be pretty delicious. Mine tasted almost like strawberry jam on toast. I've successfully replicated the mistake twice more now. Its really a hit with girls that aren;t too into craft beer.

m00ps
I saw you used the Bavarian Yeast for your fruit loops hefe. I was thinking about using that as well. I've never used the Maridian or Mandarina hops so I'm not sure how much to use. I guess that's the beauty of home brewing, its a big experiment.

I've wanted to get my hands on the Mandarina ones so let me know how they are. But I really like Meridian. Its not realyl something that can stand on its own, but it awesome to compliment any other fruity hops. I think it gives a crisp zingy lemony flavor

Sorry for the delay in reviewing the hops. The Mandarina really added a fruity aroma to the boil and the Wai-iti topped it off.
I really couldn't get a good read on the flavors when I transferred from primary to secondary. Primary was only a week and the sulfur from the yeast was very over powering.
Just finished week 2 and the sulfur has greatly decreased. The sample I tasted was not hoppy at all, I didn't plan it to be, I could definitely taste some citrus and melon flavors.
I'm going to dry hop with a 1/2 ounce of Mandarina for about 8 days and then keg. I'll probably let it keg condition for an additional week before tapping.

Back