Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is probably buried somewhere in the 1273 preceding pages, but I hope I will be forgiven for asking:

Is there a sugar besides corn sugar that would be "acceptable" for use when making this?

EDIT - Im a few pages in, now - and it looks like brown sugar works well ~ :rockin:

Currently, I don't have Montrachet, but I do have just enough Premiere Cuvée for a 1-gallon batch; near as I can tell, this yeast is quite similar, so I'll give this a shot! :mug:

Cuvee was a go to alternative yeast in the random pages that I read. I may do a batch with bread yeast and molasses, just to see what happens. It's a pretty forgiving recipe.

Alright, guys - this one was too German for me not to try - it also triggered a few memories that I hadn't thought about in quite a while, so I made it my mission last night to give this a go. My computer is dead as a door nail at the moment, so I tapped out a beautiful, well-detailed account last night on my iPod, and then managed to somehow lose the entire thing. I know that I won't be able to re-create well enough to compare to what I originally had, but I'll do my best.

Fair warning: I am absolutely incapable of brevity, so grab a cup of coffee, a homebrew...or perhaps a glass of apfelwein...before proceeding!

As I said, this one became yet another labour of love for me, as it has some personally-significant family ties. My family is part of an "ethnic group" (for lack of a better term) known as "Germans from Russia," which means that they originated in Germany (usually in what is now Southwestern Germany and Alsace), then migrated to the Russian Empire at the invitation of Catherine the Great and her descendents in order to set up "colonies" and farm the rich Russian, Ukrainian and Crimean soil. Specifically, my family belonged to the sub-group called "Schwarzmeerdeutsche" (Black Sea Germans), settling in what is now Ukraine between Crimea and Bessarabia (modern Moldova). Later on, under the tyrannical rule successive Russian Emperors, conditions became untenable for these stubborn, freedom-loving Germans, and many of them took their agricultural talents to the American Midwest and to Argentina, where they still have close-knit, thriving communities today. The ones who stayed behind were to eventually suffer extremely brutal oppression that could be called "ethnic cleansing" at best, and "genocide" at worst, but that's another discussion.

In any case, to get back on track, my direct German ancestors emigrated from Sulz, on the Beresan River in Ukraine, to what is now Dunn County, North Dakota, where they took up a rural life and thrived. We know that they brewed beer there, because the hops are still growing wild there, and I intend to take a trip "back home" with my father this spring in order to bring back some cuttings/rhizomes from these hops.

Eventually, my grandfather came along, which of course led to me. My grandfather was an avid wood-worker and gardener, very close to the land - and as I get older, I find it more and more compelling for me to emulate his simple, self-sufficient lifestyle, hence my interests in things such as charcuterie, gardening - and lately, woodworking, brewing...and winemaking.

My grandfather made a lot of wine - I don't remember him actually making any, but my dad does, and together, we are working on re-creating some of the things that my grandfather made - chokecherry wine will most likely be our first "official" project, as we both recently got home wine-making kits and we each have a supply of chokecherries, carefully packaged and frozen since last fall.

What I do remember, with great clarity, is that my grandfather made this apfelwein; although, since he grew up in the US, he simply called it "apple wine," which would have been a translation of the term that he would have heard as a child. I remember seeing many bottles and juice jars of it - in different shapes and sizes - lining the shelves of his basement. I also remember "borrowing" a couple of bottles of it during my teen years, and I to this day, I can still taste how good it was - nearly exactly as EdWort's descriptions say it is. It was a practical wine, without fuss or frivolity - very much like my grandfather, and before the day was over, I set out to re-create it. As I was reading the opening posts on this thread, especially EdWort's posts, I realised that this very stuff must the same as the "apple wine" that my grandfather would make.

As I said above, this is simple - very simple - perfectly suited for a rural lifestyle and "amateur" farmhouse winemakers who are not terribly concerned with additives, vintages and and so on. It is meant to be a way to make use of the abundance of fresh apples in the autumn, and will provide lasting refreshment throughout the year ahead. I managed to read through 71 pages of this thread last night, and I had to chuckle at many of the people who were excited at the idea of trying this traditional wine - and who then proceeded directly to modifying it, playing with the formulas and ratios, "twiddling with the knobs," and generally working very hard to create something else entirely. I am 100% certain that what these folks created was good stuff - but was it the traditional apfelwein that EdWort tried so hard to teach us about? I'm not so sure.

My amusement was short-lived, however, when I saw that because I have no LHBS nearby (the closest one is 250 miles away), I would also have to make a couple of slight modifications of my own; I hope that they are indeed minor, and do not affect the characteristics of the traditional wine in an essential way.

Batch size: 1 gallon (hey, it works for me!)

Apple juice: Due to the limited inventory of my local grocery, I only had one variety of apple juice that would "fit the bill" - it was a store brand that was 100% apple juice (good) and pasteurised (also good), but with no preservatives (which would have been bad). In short, it was just right! The flavour of this particular apple juice seeme very well balanced between sweet and tart; it is not the TreeTop brand that EdWort uses, but the next time I have the chance, i will definitely get some of that and try it for comparison.

Sugar: The addition of sugar to this beverage kicks up the ABV from 6% to 8.5%, which puts it into the realm of wine. EdWort uses 2 pounds of corn sugar per 5 gallons and reports wonderful results; unfortunately, the closest corn sugar available to me that I am aware of is 250 miles away, so that option was out for me. I also suspect that my grandfather probably had none available to him, either, so this was no big deal. Reading the thread, it looked as though there are several "acceptable" alternatives, including brown sugar, which triggered some vivid memories from my childhood. I remember very clearly that my grandfather always eschewed white sugar in favour of brown sugar for everything that he sweetended; he had a little yellow TupperWare container of it on the table and would spoon or shake some of it out as needed. With that in mind, I decided to use dark brown sugar; I know that folks report a darker and slightly-sweeter end product with brown sugar, but this is not a problem for me, as I certainly remember his wine being darker-coloured and having a bit of sweetness to it, with a nice alcohol warmth (not heat) that would sneak up on you. So, brown sugar it would be - as mentioned above, EdWort uses 2 pounds of corn sugar per 5 gallons, so I scaled this amount down for a 1 gallon batch, and measured 4/10 of a pound to use for this attempt.

Yeast: EdWort uses Montrachet yeast, but this was also unavailable to me at the moment. What I did have was Premier Cuvée, which by all accounts (that I can find) is very similar to Montrachet, so I had no qualms about using it. EdWort uses a packet of yeast per 5 gallons of juice; I thought that my package had about a quarter of a packet in it, but when I poured it in, it looked closer to a third or half of a packet, and I am sure that this will work just fine.

That's all there is to it - everything needed to carry on a very old, German tradition in the 21st Century. Following EdWort's basic procedure, I sanitised my equipment, dropped about a quarter of the total apple juice (I had two half-gallon containers of it) into my fermenter, dissolved my sugar in the remaining half of the first container of juice, then poured it in. Next, I added my yeast and ran the remaiing half-gallon of apple juice through the funnel to rinse everything down into the fermenter. The result was a nice, clear (at first), dark(ish) mixture that already looked very much like my grandfather's old apple wine; this gave me some reassurance that I should be on the right track.

EdWort starts right off with an airlock, rather than a blow-off tube; but old habits die hard, so I have a blow-off tube on mine, for now, and will switch it to an airlock in a few days. I will then do my best to forget about it for at least 4 weeks, as it ferments.

I began this project last evening, and early this morning I was happy to see some very vigorous bubbling in the fermenter, letting me know that things are moving along very nicely. The apple juice had become quite cloudy over night, which is something to be expected; according to EdWort's schedule, it will clear off very nicely at the four-week mark, and my limited experience with apple cider agrees with this. After a total of perhaps six or eight weeks, I'll bottle it in the traditional way - without any carbonation/priming sugar - and will then do my best to forget about it until early fall. If I get the chacne, I will of course get a few more batches of apfelwein going, because I have a feeling that a gallon of this will not be nearly enough!

That's where things are for now; more as it happens, etc. &c. From this point, I will post updates on this thread that I started:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523499

My thanks to EdWort for taking the time to introduce this tradition to me, especially as it re-kindled a few very treasured family memories.

Ron

This is probably buried somewhere in the 1273 preceding pages, but I hope I will be forgiven for asking:

Is there a sugar besides corn sugar that would be "acceptable" for use when making this?

EDIT - Im a few pages in, now - and it looks like brown sugar works well ~ :rockin:

Currently, I don't have Montrachet, but I do have just enough Premiere Cuvée for a 1-gallon batch; near as I can tell, this yeast is quite similar, so I'll give this a shot! :mug:

I have used table sugar as well as dextrose in the 9 batches I have made. There is no difference in flavor as far as I can tell. Either finished out dry at around 0.0998. I prefer dextrose since it dissolves better. I want to try a batch with brown sugar, and one with honey, which would probably be apple mead, but it sounds good. :D

Has anybody sucsessfully made a batch that is flavored with Pomegranate? if so what's your recipe?

Has anybody sucsessfully made a batch that is flavored with Pomegranate? if so what's your recipe?

I just a finished a Apple/Cranberry/Pomegranate batch. I used 3 parts Apple juice, and 1 part Ocean Spray Cranberry Pomegranate juice, which is like 50 different kinds of juice, but has a decent flavor. I stuck to the script from there. I bottle carbonated half of it, and the other half I corked. I like both actually, but I prefer it carbonated. It was not too astringent, which was my fear, and it has just a hint of cranberries and pomegranate over the apple. I will probably make more of it. :rockin:

Just started a new batch based on a suggestion by a chef friend of mine. Sparkling Peach Apfelwine, really good so far and going super quick. Gonna have to watch this one closely. Equal parts apple cider and peach juice

need a good recipe i have 5 gallon carboy with airlock and distillers yeast and apple juice and sugar and yeast nutrient and i want alcohol content not flavor please help with a good easy recipe i want like 15 percent abv if possible

need a good recipe i have 5 gallon carboy with airlock and distillers yeast and apple juice and sugar and yeast nutrient and i want alcohol content not flavor please help with a good easy recipe i want like 15 percent abv if possible

Take a look at post #1 - it will have everything you need to know. The recipe makes 8.5% ABV, so to boost it perhaps you could double the sugar.

Actually if this kid is 14 and makes 5 gallons of 15% and does something regrettable, who is liable ?

Actually if this guy is actually a resourceful 14 year old in Utah and makes 5 gallons of 15% and does something regrettable, who is liable ?

You could do a freeze fermentation. The alcohol will be higher in the end but you'll have less booze. It's a trade off.

Just put a bunch of sugar in some water and dump in a packet of Fleischmann's from the grocery store

Premier Cuvee yeast, dash of nutrient, apple juice, about 4 lbs of sugar. Let it ferment for around a month and a half or until it stops, check the alcohol content to make sure it is close to where you want then degas, clear and bottle as needed. You can also use 71B-1122 yeast. Will be very dry at first but give it a year or so in the bottle and it should mellow out

I actually brewed a very similar recipe a while back and it was great. I used a lot less sugar so it was like a cider but after reading this i want to try doing this.

I must say though, when i do this recipe i generally pull one gallon aside and use it to boil the sugar. this reduces ANY chance of the batch spoiling. Not that its a big chance but i dont like taking chances. i also tried this with a strain of champagne yeast and it came out amazing after six months in the bottle.

Just started a new batch based on a suggestion by a chef friend of mine. Sparkling Peach Apfelwine, really good so far and going super quick. Gonna have to watch this one closely. Equal parts apple cider and peach juice

Interesting...I'd like to try that next batch. Did you use store-bought peach juice?

Did the peach overpower the apple flavor or was it balanced?

Just put a bunch of sugar in some water and dump in a packet of Fleischmann's from the grocery store

alrhighty thanks iv been makeing 1 galon batchs of this stuff i only used 1 cup and a half of surgar and drinked it write when it was done fermenting it was nasty but got me drunk and im 30 by the way the last batch i made was out of homehade grape juice after that was done fermenting i let it sit in the fridge for like 4 or 5 days it tasted like really dry wine i think i might do this to the apple wine and let it sit for a couple days tell the yeast dies might tast better thanks everyone some good tips there

alrhighty thanks iv been making 1 gallon batches of this stuff i only used 1 cup and a half of sugar and drink-ed it write when it was done fermenting it was nasty but got me drunk and im 30 by the way the last batch i made was out of homemade grape juice after that was done fermenting i let it sit in the fridge for like 4 or 5 days it tasted like really dry wine i think i might do this to the apple wine and let it sit for a couple days tell the yeast dies might taste better thanks everyone some good tips there
in a couple months im buying a electric distiller and then im going to make another 5 gallons of apple wine then distill it but the distiller is spendy have to wait its like 400 bucks

alrhighty thanks iv been makeing 1 galon batchs of this stuff i only used 1 cup and a half of surgar and drinked it write when it was done fermenting it was nasty but got me drunk and im 30 by the way the last batch i made was out of homehade grape juice after that was done fermenting i let it sit in the fridge for like 4 or 5 days it tasted like really dry wine i think i might do this to the apple wine and let it sit for a couple days tell the yeast dies might tast better thanks everyone some good tips there

giggle.gif

in a couple months im buying a electric distiller and then im going to make another 5 gallons of apple wine then distill it but the distiller is spendy have to wait its like 400 bucks
but for now i just want to make a easy high alcohol content apple wine my first real big batch

but for now i just want to make a easy high alcohol content apple wine my first real big batch
so basically just add 2 more pounds of sugar to the original recipe rite? and it should come out fine i could just pour more unfermented apple juice into it after its done fermenting to make it taste better

Interesting...I'd like to try that next batch. Did you use store-bought peach juice?

Did the peach overpower the apple flavor or was it balanced?

Yeah i used Martinelli's Pure Apple Juice and Looza Peach Juice and so far it is pretty balanced, i added 2 quarts of peach to 1 gal of apple

Good evening, everyone -

I shared this concept with another forum, and one of the gals there would like to give this a try.

She had some questions; I was pretty sure of the answers, but and since I am only making my first batch, I didn't feel too comfortable throwing answers around without double-checking them. Here they are:

a) Any idea if I can make just a couple of gallons in a 5 gallon glass carboy? i.e., would the extra airspace be too much?

b) Once bottled, how do you store it? I.e., can the bottles stand upright, or do they have to be lying on their sides? Is corking them good?

c) How much does temperature affect the outcome? Is making it this time of year a good idea?

d) What is the general timetable for a batch of this?

Any guidance on providing answers would be appreciated.

Ron

A i do it all the time, b best way is on it's side and cork is what i use but you can use synthetic too, c it affects the brew a lot you want it fermented between 60-75 and stored around 55 ( all temps Fahrenheit), d 2 weeks minimum probably closer to 1-3 months before bottling

a) Any idea if I can make just a couple of gallons in a 5 gallon glass carboy? i.e., would the extra airspace be too much?

For fermenting, this should be fine, as the yeast activity will produce enough CO2 to keep the air off of your hooch. For bulk aging, you would want an appropriately sized container to reduce the headspace and exposure to oxygen.

b) Once bottled, how do you store it? I.e., can the bottles stand upright, or do they have to be lying on their sides? Is corking them good?

If you cork it in wine bottles, treat it like wine. You'll need to degas it before corking. I have also had good results bottling it (with priming sugar for carbonation) in 16 oz "woozy" bottles with poly caps, or in regular beer bottles, both of which you would store upright.

c) How much does temperature affect the outcome? Is making it this time of year a good idea?

The type of yeast you use drives the fermentation temperature. I keep my fermentation area at 65 - 72 F year round, and that works for most wine yeast. Once bottled, store it somewhere cool and dark. A quick Google search will yield more articles on this than one has time to read.

d) What is the general timetable for a batch of this?

After primary fermentation (4 - 6 weeks), rack it to another container for bulk aging, or bottle it, but wait at least 2 weeks before consumption, the longer the better. I have remnants of almost every batch I have made, with the oldest being around 7 months. I will be trying that one soon.

Good luck to your forum friend!

What temp do you guys keep the original recipe to? My house is usually around 65-69, will that fluctuation be ok?

That is a little cold, it should be acceptable though. It will probably take longer to ferment because it is colder however. I usually say 68-72 is ideal

What temp do you guys keep the original recipe to? My house is usually around 65-69, will that fluctuation be ok?

That is a little cold. I find that the Montrachet yeast like 70 to 72 F. Makes for an active fermentation. I have run a batch at 66 to 68 in the winter, and it was very slow to start, and slow to run. The only danger with a slow start is contamination from bacteria or other airborne nasties. Find the warmest (not above 75) spot in your house to get it started, and then move it into the cooler temps. Should be fine.

That is a little cold. I find that the Montrachet yeast like 70 to 72 F. Makes for an active fermentation. I have run a batch at 66 to 68 in the winter, and it was very slow to start, and slow to run. The only danger with a slow start is contamination from bacteria or other airborne nasties. Find the warmest (not above 75) spot in your house to get it started, and then move it into the cooler temps. Should be fine.

This is where I get confused about temps.

Ambient temp I can set at 69.

Doesnt the cider run a little hotter due to the fermentation?

I'm going to bottle my first batch on Saturday. I have some heavy punted bottles and planned on carbonating to four volumes. Has anyone played with higher carb levels? I think I could safely go to five or so with the bottles but I'm using crown caps. Advice?

I have a 1 gallon batch that's been in the fermenter (1g glass jug) forEVER...like 6.5-7 months. Do I need to add more yeast when i bottle this weekend for it to carbonate fully without taking a couple months?

I'm going to bottle my first batch on Saturday. I have some heavy punted bottles and planned on carbonating to four volumes. Has anyone played with higher carb levels? I think I could safely go to five or so with the bottles but I'm using crown caps. Advice?

What beer came in said bottles?

What beer came in said bottles?

I have some 750's from a local brewery. Various types of beer in what they call their big fancy bottle series. Bottles are all the same, similar to champagne bottles. I also have some 12 oz boulevard smokestack bottles that are cool but I'm not sure about the pressure.

Back