Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay .83 eur per litre here at the Lidl in Helsinki. That works out to 4.38 USD per US gallon at the going currency conversation rate, or to put things in perspective exactly half the price we pay for gasoline (1.66 EUR per litre).

My demijohn is 20 litres, so that would need 5.5 US gallons for a batch. It would be a whole lot easier to carry 6 gallon jugs home than it is to carry 20 one-litre boxes home... Cutting the tops off of 20 boxes, emptying 20 boxes into my demijohn, folding 20 boxes for recycling, etc...

Maybe somebody should start a business where they have a truck with a huge tank of apple juice and a long hose with a pistol, they just come around and fill up a 50 gallon barrel of apple juice for you once a month... you know, they could even sell or rent you the barrel with a spigot.

Maybe somebody should start a business where they have a truck with a huge tank of apple juice and a long hose with a pistol, they just come around and fill up a 50 gallon barrel of apple juice for you once a month... you know, they could even sell or rent you the barrel with a spigot.

On Brewing TV they showed a homebrew club that ordered directly from an orchard. Orchard came with a pickup with a tank of cider; home brewers came with sanitized carboys.

On Brewing TV they showed a homebrew club that ordered directly from an orchard. Orchard came with a pickup with a tank of cider; home brewers came with sanitized carboys.

Yeah that was awesome. I need to try some fresh cider or juice one of these days.

I have made 4 batches of apfelwein so far and my most recent added 96 oz of Tart Cherry Juice and I let it sit in the carboy for 7 months and kegged it. So far it is my favorite. I added cinnamon to most of my earlier batches which turns out good, but I like the simplicity of my most recent batch better. I have some of my cherry cinnamon batch bottles that are almost 2 years old now. I need to compare the 2.

How can you keep good apflewine that long? I just cant stop drinking and sampling and making notes on changes its undergoing..

Believe it or not, there are some people here who own 15 carboys. Some people own even more.

I can see that happening..Ive been brewing about 3 months now and I have five one gallon carlo rossi jugs.and a beginner's beer kit with a primary bucket, 5 gal better bottle for a secondary and another bucket with a tap for bottling but sometimes I just use my racking cane with the bottling attachment...i just bottled my first 5 gallon batch of strawberry lime skeeter pee and I have just started a five gallon peach melomel and two turbo ciders and a white grape peach brew for SWMBO...now that leaves me one more gallon jug...and my lhbs sells them for 2.75 so I have a good supply if I need

Just started my second 6 gallon batch of this. Should have been on my 4th or 5th, but I decided to go off on a couple of tangents!

First batch was bottled back in March and we opened the first bottle yesterday and I'm already thrilled with it!!

This will end up being an every 2-weeker from now on!

I'll join the fun. I'm going to be making a batch of this with 4.5 gallons juice, some belgian candi syrup and using Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast on it. I haven't made the syrup yet so any thoughts on darkness and how much to use is appreciated.

I know apple juice is generally around 1.050 and I'd like my finished product to be around 9-10% ABV so I was thinking an amount of syrup containing 3 pounds of sugar???

Any thoughts appreciated. I have a couple weeks before I'm doing this. The 3711 is working on a Belgian right now.

Put on my first batch of this today. Five gallons apple juice, 1 1/2 pounds sugar (split between corn and table sugar - ran out of corn sugar) and Montrachet yeast. I rehydrated the yeast with 4 oz water (should not have used water) and was 8 oz short of fitting in the 5 gallons.
Now I wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure if this is still around, but can I use baking yeast? I bought about 15 packets to ferment with and really don't want to buy anymore.

Not sure if this is still around, but can I use baking yeast? I bought about 15 packets to ferment with and really don't want to buy anymore.

It will work, but I would recommend against it. The flavors generated by baking yeast aren't great, and it takes FOREVER to settle out.

If you don't want to use the yeast recommended in the recipe, maybe try an ale yeast? (I actually prefer ale yeast).

It will work, but I would recommend against it. The flavors generated by baking yeast aren't great, and it takes FOREVER to settle out.

If you don't want to use the yeast recommended in the recipe, maybe try an ale yeast? (I actually prefer ale yeast).

+1

I have some of this in the primary right now. I made a few changes to the original recipe. I used dark brown sugar and Wyeast 1272. It is finished at 1.004 and I am just waiting for some more bottles to open up so I can package it. The samples taste great!

Thanks for the information about baking yeast! I plan to but some brewing yeast soon. A real quick question about Montrachet Wine Yeast. Is this made by Red Star? Called a store and they said they had packets for like 95¢ a piece. Is this good bad or something else? haha

Thanks for the information about baking yeast! I plan to but some brewing yeast soon. A real quick question about Montrachet Wine Yeast. Is this made by Red Star? Called a store and they said they had packets for like 95¢ a piece. Is this good bad or something else? haha

Yup, that's the stuff. :mug: Seems to be a typical price.

I looked around a little but didn't find an answer. I read over and over about back sweetening with everything but more sugar. Is there any reason I cant stabilize and just add more sugar or some concentrate and then bottle it?

I looked around a little but didn't find an answer. I read over and over about back sweetening with everything but more sugar. Is there any reason I cant stabilize and just add more sugar or some concentrate and then bottle it?

You can backsweeten with whatever your heart desires.

I used E1118 on my last batch, now 6 months old, and am less than thrilled. It is REALLY easy to drink and packs a punch but it just seems thin and watery. I'm hoping I like my carbonated half better. I'm thinking about buying a case of Manzanita Sol to mix the still half with.

I used E1118 on my last batch, now 6 months old, and am less than thrilled. It is REALLY easy to drink and packs a punch but it just seems thin and watery. I'm hoping I like my carbonated half better. I'm thinking about buying a case of Manzanita Sol to mix the still half with.

My first batch seemed a little thin bodied to me so I backsweetened with concentrate..that did the trick

Same experience here. Thin and watery, even carbonated. I used Montrachet.

Iv had some apple wine in my fermenters for about one and a half years. I was downstairs the other week and I noticed that both my airlocks are dry on 2 five gallon fermenters. Is the wine still good? I have no idea how long the airlocks have been dry.

Please and thank you.

Iv had some apple wine in my fermenters for about one and a half years. I was downstairs the other week and I noticed that both my airlocks are dry on 2 five gallon fermenters. Is the wine still good? I have no idea how long the airlocks have been dry.

Please and thank you.

I am no expert so I would suggest getting a second and third and forth opinion, but from what the interwebs have been telling me lately, it's a case by case thing. Obviously there is the possibility of oxygen ruining the quality, and a chance that bacteria and other micro-organisms have gotten into the brew. I would say try a little bit then re do your air lock. If you like the taste and go a week or so without getting sick, I would say it's good. But next time keep an eye on your airlock so next time it doesn't ruing the batch. Hope this helped..

just put my first batch in the fermenter... but I changed some things. I used store brand all natural "cider" instead of juice and I added 1 lb of local wildflower honey (simmered it into half of a gallon of the cider). used the Montrachet. think it'll come out alright?

Primary: Arcadia IPA clone

just put my first batch in the fermenter... but I changed some things. I used store brand all natural "cider" instead of juice and I added 1 lb of local wildflower honey (simmered it into half of a gallon of the cider). used the Montrachet. think it'll come out alright?

Primary: Arcadia IPA clone

In theory it should come out fine alcohol wise. The basal components are their. Most sources say to use pasteurized cider to make sure it's free of contaminants, but you should be good. Drop in later and keep us updated.

thanks. I will. it was pasteurized just to let you all know

Primary: Apfelwein
bottled:
consumed: hoppy matrimony IPA

I'm familiar with homebrewing and bottling beer and from what I understand carbonated beer is to be bottled in beer bottles because wine bottles are more likely to be bottle bombs because they're not strong of a bottle correct?

So with Apfelwein can you bottle them in wine bottles given the carbonation has ceased? I plan on dropping campden tablets before bottling.

This is my first time bottling for myself I usually always keg/force carbonate. So I just want to be sure if I can get away with using wine bottles.

I used the search feature on bottling Eds Apfelwein but didn't find an exact answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

I'm familiar with homebrewing and bottling beer and from what I understand carbonated beer is to be bottled in beer bottles because wine bottles are more likely to be bottle bombs because they're not strong of a bottle correct?

So with Apfelwein can you bottle them in wine bottles given the carbonation has ceased? I plan on dropping campden tablets before bottling.

This is my first time bottling for myself I usually always keg/force carbonate. So I just want to be sure if I can get away with using wine bottles.

I used the search feature on bottling Eds Apfelwein but didn't find an exact answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

I've done both, but I prefer carbonated. Obviously, if it is carbonated and you try to put it in a wine bottle with a cork, it will push it out...
But I've done still versions and a wine bottle works just fine.

I personally only use beer bottles for carbonated stuff..simply because i dont think wine bottles will keep the cork in under pressure..but if I want a few bottles of still cider I put it in whatever bottles I have around.

OK Guys,
My batch is just over 3 months old and I need some room..... So, I plan to keg it this weekend, but my sample last month was a bit dry for me. I would like to backsweeten it. What is the best method for my situation and should I fully carbonate it or just push the headspace out?

George

OK Guys,
My batch is just over 3 months old and I need some room..... So, I plan to keg it this weekend, but my sample last month was a bit dry for me. I would like to backsweeten it. What is the best method for my situation and should I fully carbonate it or just push the headspace out?

George

I have never legend so I won't comment on that. But as to back sweetening it's pretty much preference. I've read of people who added in juice concentrate, cranberry juice, pure sugar, and countless other things. I would think a can of cranberry concentrate and a little bit of sugar to pleasure sound good.

I have never legend so I won't comment on that. But as to back sweetening it's pretty much preference. I've read of people who added in juice concentrate, cranberry juice, pure sugar, and countless other things. I would think a can of cranberry concentrate and a little bit of sugar to pleasure sound good.

No offense, but that doesn't really help direct me. I'm looking for an exact method of back sweetening and whether I should fully carbonate or just take the headspace out.

George

No offense, but that doesn't really help direct me. I'm looking for an exact method of back sweetening and whether I should fully carbonate or just take the headspace out.

George

The majority of back sweetening is preference, so there are no real "exact" methods. There are basic principles behind it, but even they can be changed some-what. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/back-sweetening-edwarts-apfelwein-receipe-211117/ is a thread ABOUT the Different ways people back sweeten this brew. Sorry I can't be of more help.

George

It is really a matter of personal preference. 'Backsweetening ( if that's a word) to taste' is exactly that, sweeten it to what you prefer. You can add concentrate, apple juice, corn sugar, etc. You said you were going to keg, so it is up to you. Somewhere between 1-3 cans of concentrate, or 32-64 oz of juice, or a pound of sugar, into the keg, seal it up, cool it down and put the CO2 on it.

I'd say add some form of sugar until you get a taste you like, then seal the keg and keep cold.

If you did NOT do something to stop the yeast ( Camden tablets), then the yeast will eat thru whatever sugar you add to sweeten if kept at room temp. If you put the keg in a cooler ( 40ish degrees ), you will be ok for months, but if you leave the keg at room temp, the back sweetened sugar will just turn into alcohol.

The majority of back sweetening is preference, so there are no real "exact" methods. There are basic principles behind it, but even they can be changed some-what. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/back-sweetening-edwarts-apfelwein-receipe-211117/ is a thread ABOUT the Different ways people back sweeten this brew. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for the link, it was helpful! I guess I was looking for "this works to achieve this" and so forth, but now see that it may be more difficult to find that..... Hmmmm...... Maybe I'll start a new thread.... LOL

George

Latest posts

Back