Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using the Android app, just go to the equivalent of the "menu" button on your phone. You'll see the "search" option in the app.

I get refresh, subscribe, open browser, and reply in the first and last page (android-when I hit menu that is). I do have a search for thread function but that's outside of a thread.

A note to anyone who thinks they have to read the whole 8000+ replies to this thread to get an answer to their question; you don't. Click the "search this thread" button above the uppermost post and you can search for keywords or posters strictly in this thread.

Yea I found it right after I posted that but couldn't delete it.

Accidic said:
For aging does it age any better in bottles than in the carboy/bucket?

It's on a lot more yeast, so probably. Plus it allows it to get ultra-clear before bottling.

But probably by far the biggest benefit is that you can't be tempted to drink it!

Well, I've thwarted that somewhat since I couldn't find a large enough straw to drink it right out of the carboy. I was thinking the racking cane would be good though since it's got that bendy straw shape...

Accidic said:
Well, I've thwarted that somewhat since I couldn't find a large enough straw to drink it right out of the carboy. I was thinking the racking cane would be good though since it's got that bendy straw shape...

Ever since mines been in the carboy I've been tempted to go buy one of those giant pixiesticks and dump the sugar and sanitize.

With such a huge thread and so many raving fans, it's been super hard to leave it alone. But it's been in the carboy for 3.5 weeks, and I haven't so much as touched it since putting it together. Been tempted, but I'm going to let it sit for at least another 4 weeks before I touch it.

Ever since mines been in the carboy I've been tempted to go buy one of those giant pixiesticks and dump the sugar and sanitize.

With such a huge thread and so many raving fans, it's been super hard to leave it alone. But it's been in the carboy for 3.5 weeks, and I haven't so much as touched it since putting it together. Been tempted, but I'm going to let it sit for at least another 4 weeks before I touch it.

I'm on the same timeline as you, but no way I'm leaving it for another 4 weeks. I got 2, maybe 3 TOPS.

paulster2626 said:
I'm on the same timeline as you, but no way I'm leaving it for another 4 weeks. I got 2, maybe 3 TOPS.

Yea I want it so bad I can't stand it. Figured right before Halloween I'd bottle it up.

I need to get another carboy/BB so I can have one going in my current, and another that I let sit until I'm out.

I'm thinking if I bottle in 4 weeks, I'll put another together immediately that I'll bust out at Christmas if I'm out of this (my first) batch. And as soon as I get another carboy will just let it sit until I can't stand it any longer. With how easy and cheap the recipe is, I don't ever see me not having some in bottles and at least 1 in the carboy at all times.

After reading about 40 pages of this thread with the different combinations and ingredients, I broke down and bought a BB last night and decided to go with EdWorts original receipe. OG was a little short at 1.062, but moving the BB, it sucked about half the vodka out of the airlock, so that may have gone up slightly! Now its time to wait a month...

So, my first 3 gallons of apfelwein (made from The Original Recipe of EdWort) are almost 10 days into fermentation, and I already have CAASS (Compulsive Apfelwein Airlock Smelling Syndrome). Disregarding the CO2; damn this smells good!!! Question #1: Can I expect the finished apfelwein to taste anything like what I'm smelling now? Right now it smells like apples and wine :D

Question #2: I've never made any wine before. Can I add canned peaches, apricots or mandarin oranges to a batch? I have some cans of these, you know, the ones with fruit, sugar & water. Will it be good? Or bad? I feel like experimenting, and would love the taste of these fruits in a wine, if possible.

If I do it, should I do anything different in terms of racking and whatnot?

Thanks for any input!

Uncorked a few bottles from last November's batch that I made with maple syrup instead of sugar to get the fermentables up. I used EC-1118. Full recipe in my notes somewhere; this wasn't a recipe that closely followed the original. We had cousins come into town from Colorado. I didn't tell anyone what it was, but even my (affectionately titled) wine snob baby sister guessed that it was a "Really nice Sauvignon Blanc, but it's -- different. I really like it, I haven't had this before; where did you get it?" I wouldn't tell her until after she gave her review and judged it to be "very good to excellent," no one could believe it was from apples and maple syrup. Another sister asked, "So why doesn't it taste like apples?" Anyways, it has some kick to it, at 13.2% ABV and it sneaks up on you and >WHAM!< you're not driving anywhere, legally. Not for a few hours after.

A little variation goes a very long way. In the end it's always back to the original for the best, though.

Many thanks again, Edwort!

Oh, BTW - the cousins went back with 16 bottles. I kept 4 for us, the rest of the 7.5-gallons went to other family members and a few friends.

- Tim

Just mixed a batch and it's in the closet. Thanks Ed from a fellow Austinite. Or does Bee Caves not count as austin ;)

My latest batch is behaving somewhat oddly. 4 gal, ~0.8 lb Dextrose, ~0.8 lb Brn Sugar EC-1118 yeast. Made numerous other batches with this recipe. Unlike the others I have a layer of foam at the top that comes and goes. Kind of like a light krausen, but really more foam than yeast. Fermentation started relatively slowly ~18 hr after pitching, but then took off. Temp was a bit low to start... 66 deg F, now 70 deg F which is all in the range of previous batches. I don't think there is an issue, but this foamy layer is new. I did use a bit more yeast nutrient. Previously I used FERMAX at 1 tsp/gal but my Fermax got wet and I tossed it. Now using DAP. Label says 1/2 TSP per 5 gal, but the last batch at that level with Montrachet really stank, so I upped the DAP to ~1 TSP in 4 gal.

I'm sure it will be fine, but has anyone seen this foam?

8# of brown sugar?! Wow, what's the ABV on that?

Mine had a ring of foam around it and a ring on top, but since it's taken off in fermentation, it's gone away.

Forgot the decimal point... 0.8 lb...

4 gal/5 gal * 2 lb/5 gal = 1.6 lb/4 gal divided evenly between Dextrose and Brown Sugar.

Sorry bout that

Hello everyone. I just registered, but I started lurking the forum about a year ago. Back then I started an experiment, I got three gallons of apple juice and somewhat followed EdWort's recipe. I say somewhat because I used the same proportions, but instead of dextrose I used organic brown sugar. I used three different kinds of yeast. As I said, this was kind of an experiment. I used montrachet, yeast part of those Spike-Your-Juice things, and ordinary bakers yeast. They've been fermenting for a year.

My question is the following. I've left them in the same bottles for the year. I never moved them to a secondary. Will this make the apfelwein taste bad? I haven't tasted it yet. It smells good to me. I'm finally tasting it with some friends this Sunday for the season premier of Boardwalk Empire. It seemed like an appropriate occasion.

I'd apprecciate any feedback. Coming here has gotten me excited again and will probably go out and buy a BB to make another 5 gls. :)

Hello everyone. I just registered, but I started lurking the forum about a year ago. Back then I started an experiment, I got three gallons of apple juice and somewhat followed EdWort's recipe. I say somewhat because I used the same proportions, but instead of dextrose I used organic brown sugar. I used three different kinds of yeast. As I said, this was kind of an experiment. I used montrachet, yeast part of those Spike-Your-Juice things, and ordinary bakers yeast. They've been fermenting for a year.

My question is the following. I've left them in the same bottles for the year. I never moved them to a secondary. Will this make the apfelwein taste bad? I haven't tasted it yet. It smells good to me. I'm finally tasting it with some friends this Sunday for the season premier of Boardwalk Empire. It seemed like an appropriate occasion.

I'd apprecciate any feedback. Coming here has gotten me excited again and will probably go out and buy a BB to make another 5 gls. :)

It shouldn't. What did you use as your primary fermenter? From what I've read from EdWort's receipe, he doesn't use a secondary at all and says the longer it ages, the better. That's amazing you had the discipline to wait a whole year.

It shouldn't. What did you use as your primary fermenter? From what I've read from EdWort's receipe, he doesn't use a secondary at all and says the longer it ages, the better. That's amazing you had the discipline to wait a whole year.

I just did it in the jugs that it comes in. They all look pretty clear. The lees has been sitting at the bottom for a while. That's my only concern, that the lees might've fouled it up.

I know. I'm excited to try it. It's been aged one year.

I just did it in the jugs that it comes in. They all look pretty clear. The lees has been sitting at the bottom for a while. That's my only concern, that the lees might've fouled it up.

I know. I'm excited to try it. It's been aged one year.

Were the jugs plastic or glass. That would be the only huge concern, don't think the yeast at the bottom is going to hurt anything.

I've done a few in jugs with nps. Glass is better i'm sure but my first was in jugs and I liked it well enough to buy a fermenter specifically for apfelwine (for quantity reasons).

When you say the jug that it came in do you mean you just tossed some sugar and yeast into the jug and capped it? Did you stick an airlock into the top of the jug? Just loosen the cap to let CO2 out?

I tried mine. I think its a little green. I got a hint of "yeasty" taste. It's very clear, but maybe I jostled the keg a little and it wasn't fully settled yet.

Started mine last night,
5 gallons, Kedem Apple Juice. 2 cups of Light brown Sugar, 3 cups of White table sugar, 1 1/2 packets of Red Star Mon$#% Yeast.

1.060 at 72 degrees

In the bucket bubbling away.

Thanks Ed Wort

:ban:

When you say the jug that it came in do you mean you just tossed some sugar and yeast into the jug and capped it? Did you stick an airlock into the top of the jug? Just loosen the cap to let CO2 out?

When I use the original bottle for little test batches I usually just stick a balloon on top, tape it around the neck, and poke a hole through the top of the balloon. Cheap, easy, and gets the job done.

Been experimenting with different brands of apple juice and I finally found one that is horrible when fermented. I bought some apple juice from The Fresh Market (similar to Whole Foods/Wegmans) for the 1 gallon jugs and I've been sitting on it since probably march. The stuff is so bland and boring it's hard to believe it's not water with a touch of vodka in it.

eloro said:
When I use the original bottle for little test batches I usually just stick a balloon on top, tape it around the neck, and poke a hole through the top of the balloon. Cheap, easy, and gets the job done.

A lot of old brewers (family friends etc) I know used to do the exact same thing. I don't think it ever actually fails.

I bought some apple juice from The Fresh Market (similar to Whole Foods/Wegmans) for the 1 gallon jugs and I've been sitting on it since probably march. The stuff is so bland and boring it's hard to believe it's not water with a touch of vodka in it.
I've been largely unimpressed with The Fresh Market for items in general. I've had two instances where I'd swear they have preservatives not listed on the labels or that's how the stuff acted at least. I also think comparing them to Whole Foods is rather generous. We did get an Earth Fare recently (which I affectionally refer to as the "Dirty Rich Hippy Store" but their stock has been fantastic and I've even found a few of the items (Malic and Citric acid for example) that I would have otherwise had to order (I'm not paying $15 for 1oz of Citric @GNC) including several obscure fruits I hadn't seen since moving back over to the SE.

Oh, and the thing about the balloon, hole, and tape is pure brilliance/gold. It's so easy and simple not to mention cheap that I almost want to build a starter for no other reason than to watch it work. :mug:

the smell from the closet... only lasted a few days tho.
My first 5 has been going now for a little over 2 weeks and I can see it already starting to clear, Interesting...

the applevescent farts only lasted 4 or 5 days for me, still fermenting away though.. Been at it for about a week now, took a solid 24 hours+ to really get going, got cloudy and a little bubbly on top after about 24 hours.
I'm fermenting this in my office right behind me and its pretty much sealed off completely, so I'm dedicated I guess. Can't wait.

Ok today I made a new batch and used my hydrometer my og is 1.070. I added a touch more sugar than I did with the first batch (I didn't get a reading off the first batch). I'd like it just a tad sweeter this time. What do you guys/gals think, should I add more? Or let it go?

BTW, you might want to make this in 10 gallon batches it won't last long once your friends taste it!:cross:

Mike

If you want it sweeter don't add the sugar now. Ferment it out, stabilize, then backsweeten it as sweet as you want it.

That is what i plan on doing using potassium sorbate. I did 1lb of corn sugar and 1lb of brown. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Definetly stinks for about 2 days.

The downside is unless you keg sparkling is out unless you are going to try to bottle pasturize but having popped a few cokes in fires it kind of scares me with glass.

Latest posts

Back