Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would clean out the airlock and replace it with new water or vodka. Poeple ferment wine in open fermenters so I am sure you are fine. I notice even with starsan after a couple months the water starts to get icky. For long term fermenting 3 months and longer you should probably use the hard liquor method. just so you don't have to clean it or worry.

I always use cheap vodka in my airlocks. The airlock looks fine, though I think I may have let the level drop in the summer at one point.

I made my first batch 4 weeks ago this Saturday. I'm really ready to bottle and try this out. I still see a lot of bubbling going on, and I want to know if its ok to bottle at the 4 week mark, or do I need to wait for the bubbling to stop?

I was checking my airlock levels and noticed stuff starting to grow on my batch from March. It doesn't look terrible, just a thin layer of crap forming at the top (especially around the ring where the juice ends). I couldn't find anywhere in the thread addressing this, is my apfelwine now a lost cause? I have a hunch that I will need to open it up and taste/smell a sample to know for sure.

If the sample seems fine do I want to bottle it asap? Transfer it to a clean carboy and throw in some Campdem tablets? It would be a shame to lose a batch that's been aging for 8 months.

If you are talking about a growth on the Apfelwein its self then I also may have the same thing going on.

I have a batch made with 3lbs dextrose and 2.5lbs of honey that is doing the same thing. I'm bottling it on Friday and I can report back on the taste if you like:cross:

Lodovico:
I see no problem with adding oak to the fermentation vat. I've fermented chardonnay and sauv. blanc in oak and it does add a nice vanillin quality. I also find, btw. that using the yeast cake of the previous batch or two seems to soften the mouthfeel and adds some lactic qualities which are very nice. Not sure of the upper limit of reuses though.

Would be interested in your tasting notes on the oak addition.
bp

So, I believe I have found the measurements to back-sweeten this great beverage with, using frozen apple juice concentrate. I performed a little experiment, and it turns out that in 12 tsp (1/4 cup) of apfelwein, 2 tsp of concentrate gives the perfect amount of tart sweetness that I so desire.

So, in order to scale that up, I would be working with a 6 to 1 ratio, correct?

4 weeks is not enough especially if it is still bubbling.

2 months minimum at least usually before you can bottle it longer is better.

I made my first batch 4 weeks ago this Saturday. I'm really ready to bottle and try this out. I still see a lot of bubbling going on, and I want to know if its ok to bottle at the 4 week mark, or do I need to wait for the bubbling to stop?

You have no way of knowing how much longer the fermentation will last, so if you bottle now you run the risk of making bottle bombs--the carbonation grows so much your bottles literally explode. Not fun.

NSW8148, any word on how the apfelwine came out? I'm making a trip to my LHBS tomorrow, anyone have thoughts on whether I should pick up some Campdem tablets while I'm there?

NSW8148, any word on how the apfelwine came out? I'm making a trip to my LHBS tomorrow, anyone have thoughts on whether I should pick up some Campdem tablets while I'm there?

It is very delicious, I was short on 22's and siphoned the last little bit into a glass that I stuck outside for a bit. It's pretty cold out there and it turned to slush, but it was pretty good once it turned to liquid again:ban:

It was kinda sweet because the honey didnt have time to ferment out all the way. I'll probably just stick to a pound instead on 2.5 on top of the dextrose;)

Okay, I picked up the tablets when I was grabbing my corks for the port I'm hoping to give out at Christmas (if only Christmas was a week later, then we could try the port!). Am I correct that I would want to add the tablets after I transfer to a sanitized carboy? And will I want to add more yeast afterward? Will it continue to get better with age if I don't add new yeast?

I bottled my first batch only in the carboy for five weeks but i needed the carboy will have to say the best simple thing i have made thanks for the recipe will be makeing more asap

I tried my first bottle of this. I think I made it 5 months ago. I feel like all I can really taste is the yeast profile. I might try making this again and use something besides montrachet.

Did my third brew just become Apfelwein?

I started Father's day when my wife bought a Mr. Beer. I wasn't a big fan of the WCPA but I knew a lot more about how to attempt this hobby.

I opened my first bottle brewed from an Ale Pail about 10 days ago and was VERY impressed.

I was planning to brew a batch with fam for the holidays but that Mr Beer kit was gathering dust and I had some sanitizer, and SWMBO does not like beer, and there was this recipe, and I was looking for something to do. Did I mention I had the old Mr Beer kit doing nothing?

So I started a 2.5 gallon batch of Apfelwein tonight.

I made a 3 gal batch exactly like the recipe in the OP.

8 weeks later and there are still hundreds of tiny bubbles constantly rising.

I just bottled two batches that I started of February 03,2010 and man are they good. One of them I put a can of frozen Strawberry Daiquiri mix in to give it a little different flavor. I cannot tell the difference between the two.
Starting two more batches today.

Im working up to the my third week of fermenting a 5 gallon batch of the Apfelwein so I started thinking about bottling. My question is can the flip top beer tops A) stand up to the test of time B) Will the rubber be a problem with flavor and will the ABV dry it out? Thanks for enlightening a noob ;)

Just finished putting my first 5g in the carboy. Hopefully I'll have liquid panty remover in about 3 months! Hooray!

My son will be turning 21 in March, and was very interested in attempting to brew mead. I thought it would be fun to make some for his first (legal) drink. I started some mead, some beer, and then I found this thread. I've never brewed anything but tea prior to this month. I started my first batch of apfelwein (3 gallons) on 12/5, using Wally's store brand apple juice and EC-1118. I added about 1 1/2 lbs of corn sugar. As of last night, it is crystal clear! I was forced to try it, of course :).

It's.....ok. Not sweet AT ALL, which was very unexpected. Almost beer-like; not wine-ish. Not unpleasant. I know it's nowhere near ready to drink, but I'm very surprised. I think you all may be on to something. :)

I will do as EdWort suggests and reserve judgement until the third glass, but if it only gets better, then it should be great!

Oh, I'll be starting two more carboys immediately after the holiday. I guess I'm hooked.

My son will be turning 21 in March, and was very interested in attempting to brew mead. I thought it would be fun to make some for his first (legal) drink. I started some mead, some beer, and then I found this thread. I've never brewed anything but tea prior to this month. I started my first batch of apfelwein (3 gallons) on 12/5, using Wally's store brand apple juice and EC-1118. I added about 1 1/2 lbs of corn sugar. As of last night, it is crystal clear! I was forced to try it, of course :).

It's.....ok. Not sweet AT ALL, which was very unexpected. Almost beer-like; not wine-ish. Not unpleasant. I know it's nowhere near ready to drink, but I'm very surprised. I think you all may be on to something. :)

I will do as EdWort suggests and reserve judgement until the third glass, but if it only gets better, then it should be great!

Oh, I'll be starting two more carboys immediately after the holiday. I guess I'm hooked.

After making this stuff for about 4 months, and buying 4 more carboys, I bought a couple buckets to start making beer. Nothing fancy, just some extract kits, but Apfelwein was a great segway with its simplicity:mug:

I made one a month or so ago, with 5 pounds of table sugar instead of the 2 pounds of corn sugar. The FG is 1.010, and it's really sweet seeming, especially after getting used to ten gallons of 0.998. I would have thought that after a month, all the fermenting would be done... either the table sugar is less fermentable, or my basement is way too cold and/or the temperature is too unstable. Either way the last batch is empty, so the tap is getting filled with this 1.010 batch.

I'm going to do this next one in the fermenting fridge at a stable 66F, and see if it matters.

I made one a month or so ago, with 5 pounds of table sugar instead of the 2 pounds of corn sugar. The FG is 1.010, and it's really sweet seeming, especially after getting used to ten gallons of 0.998. I would have thought that after a month, all the fermenting would be done... either the table sugar is less fermentable, or my basement is way too cold and/or the temperature is too unstable. Either way the last batch is empty, so the tap is getting filled with this 1.010 batch.

I'm going to do this next one in the fermenting fridge at a stable 66F, and see if it matters.

Was about to make another batch tonight, but I remembered last minute that somebody suggested using Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast a while back. Has anybody else tried this yeast since then?

Was about to make another batch tonight, but I remembered last minute that somebody suggested using Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast a while back. Has anybody else tried this yeast since then?

I havent used that, but I've used 2 others. They just taste funny to me.

I'm going to stick to the original Montrachet from now on:)

I've used nothing but EC 1118 for all of my batches and have been happy with them. The EC 1118 will make it very dry, there will be no sweetness left. I have used honey in place of the corn sugar and found that it rounds off some the sharpness of the dry left by the corn sugar. I'm happy with it.

GTG

I've cut mine at around 1005 by k-sorbate and cold crashing, it's pretty much clear now, what should I do to get rid of the leftovers at the bottom? I've syphoned before but I'm pretty awful at it and tend to lose a lot. Should I try manually filtering first and letting it settle out again?

I just kegged a batch that I fermented with that yeast, because the cake I pitched onto must have given up, and it was all I had handy. When I rinsed out the carboy, the yeast smelled great, which is unusual. I have not had a taste yet.

I've cut mine at around 1005 by k-sorbate and cold crashing, it's pretty much clear now, what should I do to get rid of the leftovers at the bottom? I've syphoned before but I'm pretty awful at it and tend to lose a lot. Should I try manually filtering first and letting it settle out again?
Sometimes I'll prop up the carboy so it's on a tilt. Let it sit like that for a day to clear and it will be easier to get the last bits out. What are you siphoning with? A good autosiphon works wonders.

I made one with 10 pounds of sugar and it was still bubbling like mad after 30 days.

Wish I could have seen how it would have turned out. But my son dumped it accidentally. :(

First 5 gallon batch is 3 weeks in the fermenter (Ed's recipe).

Tonight I mixed up a batch using 2lbs of light brown sugar instead of dextrose. Actually I mixed it up with 2 cups of brown sugar and had to go back and add almost 3 cups more of brown sugar about an hour later when I realized my mistake. Hopefully this won't cause too big of an issue.

I made my first 5 gallon batch of Ed's two days ago, and 12 hours later there were signs of fermentation. 24 hours later and this thing is going crazy at 73 degrees or so. So far it still smells good, but I'm expecting the sulfur smell soon.

I made one with 10 pounds of sugar and it was still bubbling like mad after 30 days.

Wish I could have seen how it would have turned out. But my son dumped it accidentally. :(

Death to the son! J/K

Actually I was adding juice at serving time to the last gallon of my last dry batch, so I'm happy with the sweet batch so far.

For christmas I made a Spiced wine with my last bomber. It contained Apfelwein, Burgandy, Brown Suger, Cinnamon sticks, Cranberry Juice and Allspice. It went very fast!

Made this a while back, it was pretty good, very white wine-like with a distinctive yeast taste. It was so easy to make that i think ill throw together another 5 gallon carboy and experiment with some oaking... maybe french cubes soaked in rum.

I love Apfelwein. We started two 5 gallon batches early last July (2009). It was a big hit last new year's eve kegged at right around the 6 month mark. It is SUPERBLY DELICIOUS at this point (1.5 years)...the first keg is finally now gone tonight (it was a bit neglected, or rather, aged ;) . The second will be highly consumed tomorrow night! Hopefully there is some left to last us while we start some more batches...

The nickname we gave it last year is "danger juice", not sure if that's already been mentioned in the forums or not.

I have one with 10lbs of cane sugar that I started 3 weeks ago, I also stuck a chopped up vanilla bean and a handful of raisins. Its still going strong.

I read somewhere that raisins contain nutrients that help the yeasties stay active longer, and if thats BS, I like raisins anyway:D

This is kinda crazy, I just had a glass of Bollinger: Special Cuvee (Non-Vintage Champagne) and it tasted almost exactly like the batch of EdWort's Apfelwein I had bottle carbed a couple years ago.

If I remember correctly, I had carbed each bottle with 3 tsp of priming sugar and 5 grains of dried champagne yeast, bottled at 2 months from start of fermentation, and cracked it open at 9 months.

Anyways its pretty awesome that this recipe here compares to a $50 bottle of Champagne in bouquet and flavor profile.

Back